Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Store can accuse anyone but needn't show proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdonovan

I shoplifted some stuff at about 4pm from a local store. At 8pm that night I got a call from the local police saying they had me on camera and to come down to police headquarters. They had seen me near the pharmacy and apparently asked pharmacy staff "who is that person" is what I am guessing. That is the only think I can think of as I was picking up an RX and took a few things. Other than that, I have no connection to the police department. In fact I have no connection to anyone in the pharmacy either. I am not friends with any of them.

They said they had me on film and arrested me once I got to the police department. When I got a lawyer I demanded to see the footage and he said they don't have to show footage.

How can that be? Just because a store says they have you on footage you can get arrested? Yet they don't have to show footage? Is this just in New York or what?

Thank you.

Your Lawyer seeks video during discovery process of court. Talk to your Lawyer he will explain. However if you did steal and the merchandise was caught on your person the video wont mean much

Footage or no footage? That is the question.

Stores do not need to have footage. They just need an eye witness who can articulate the evidence.

What are you specifically charged with or accused of doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back