Consumer Law, Warranties Storage facility breach contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixedmediums

I had belongings in a storage facility that was broken into, along with 18 other units in one night. The thieves stole a huge camera box containing most of my photography equipment. After I reported the loss to the insurance company, I was informed the photography equipment wasn't covered, and was listed in the exclusions. I, however, never received a coverage policy, let alone any exclusions, until AFTER the loss. The exclusions are hidden in a paragraph containing "events and or acts" that are not covered, ie Tornado, earthquake, riots, etc. Then lo and behold letter "C" of the A-F is a brief line excluding anything of value, essentially.

I learned a month or so after the burglary, the facility knew at least 6 weeks before the event, the doors to, not only my climate controlled building, but all of the "secured" buildings had locks that were broken, and would lock the buildings. Yet they failed to have them fixed.

Do I have recourse? Did they breach their contract to keep my items secure by knowing the locks were broken, and do nothing for at least 6 weeks prior to the break in?

You might have a case.

Talk to a lawyer and see if there is a possibility of prevailing in a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back