Storage Auction --- Possesion of Stolen Property --- What are my Rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDP1983

On May 31st, 2007 I purchased a Storage Locker at a Lien Sale. Inside the Locker there was a vehicle and various other household items. Among these items were some ceramic platters made by a company called Westernware, there were somewhere around 30 of them I believe. I registered the car in my name and have a bill of sale from the Storage Facility for the items in the unit. On about July 15th or so I was contacted by the owner of Westernware asking where I got the platters that I was selling on eBAY, I told here that I had aquired them at a Lien Sale. She said that she believed they were Platters that were defective and she was told by her distribution company that they had destroyed the products and threw them away. She told me she was upset that this had happend because I was selling the platters for cheaper then she sold them wholesale and it was hurting the value of her product, she was quite upset with her distribution company and told me that they would be contacting me to reaquire the product. A week or so went by and they finally contacted me and offered me $250 for the 26 platters that I had left. I told them that this wasn't sufficient as they have a retail value of $4100, and I told them I would sell them back to them for the price I was asking for them on eBAY of about $1800. They said no the items were stolen and they wouldn't pay that ammount. I asked to see their police report for the stolen items and they said they didn't have one. So at this time they filed a police report saying that these items were stolen between May 15th-June 15th. This is impossible as I bought the Storage unit on May 31st and it would have been locked up in the Lien Process for 45 days prior to that, meaning no had been in the unit since April 15th at the latest. I don't know what my rights are with these items, there are no serial numbers or barcodes or anything on them. Yesterday the Detective threatened to arrest me for possesion of Stolen Property if I don't return them, I think that I legally own them. Should I get a Lawyer?!?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don't talk to the cops without your lawyer…………Based on what you are say, you legally purchased them in open market. They are playing hard ball with you so that you panic and comply. If it was stolen, why did they try to buy it back and filed a report when you turned down their offer? Why was there no police report when they noticed the lose……the time line is showing they are lying in a police report which is a crime or referring to different items not yours. The police would need them to prove they had possession of these items, prove it was stolen, and check your purchase reports …etc before they can file anything against you. Being the manufacturer does not mean you own it. It simply means it was yours at some point. Talk to a lawyer, they can sue the people who sold the facility to you not. Just keep all your paper work from the purchase and stop cooperating without a lawyer.

george

I am new user to this web page.I got the information about what is storage auction and possession of stolen property. Recently i buy one car but one guy stolen that car. Now i find my car how can i take my car back. What is processor i have to follow to take my car back.
========================
george
Car Auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back