Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Stop payment on a check

T

tinabyers21

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I was trying to help a friend with their rent and I contacted the landlord to give them a check. I gave him a check and he went to cash it but my bank refused because I didn't have enough funds (another payment came out earlier than expected) the landlord contacted me and I told him I only had $150 in cash and we met and I gave it to him. He gave me no receipt. A week later I found out my friend actually had 2 other roommates who weren't helping pay anything. I told the landlord since their were 3 capable adults in the home to pay the remainder of what was owed I wasn't going to pay the rest. I never heard anything back from him. A week later he deposits the check. I put a stop payment on it since I paid him half of it in cash. 2 days ago I receive a letter from the prosecuting attorney saying I had 10 days to pay this check of a warrant would be issued for my arrest. I do not live st this address nor have I bought anything from this landlord. Am I legally obligated to pay?

Yes. If you play nice you might convince the landlord to return the cash you gave after the check clears, but don't count on it since you didn't get a receipt.
Without a receipt it never happened.
You really stepped in it with this one. Expensive lesson learned. Maybe you can get your friend to reimburse you... But you already know your friend can't pay the bills.

Back