Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Stole $2000 from employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8rslife4me

Pretty much what happened ( I know I'm stupid ) was that I falsified returns and put them on gift cards. I either sold the gift cards or used them. I was called into my managers office today and talked to LP over the phone. I was dumb and answered all of his questions. Very co-operative. He was nice and talked to me like a human being. I offered to return everything that was still in my possession as soon as possible. At that point he told me the authorities would be called and they were. The cop came in didn't even ask me anything just took the copy of the statement I had written for the LP guy. Took a disk I assume with data or video data on it and left. That was it. I'm willing to pay them back 110% of what I took I'm sure it'll be more than that. I'm just afraid what's next. I'm in Virginia by the way. I already set up an appointment to talk to an attorney Monday. I don't know if I'm jumping the gun or being safe. I'm 25, I did have a felony in Texas when I was 18 that I completed an 18 month sentence for.

$2000.00 theft gives you another felony! You could possibly go to prison! Yes by all means talk to an Attorney several in fact! You need to know your legal options. I would also suggest you enroll and complete an anti shoplifting course

Thanks for responding so quickly. After I talk to one attorney I'll see if I can't set up a few more consultations. I should've thought about everything I'm about to lose for something so stupid to gain.

Virginia is tough on theft. You most likely were charged with Embezzlement >$200, which is a felony charge. Check http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/home.html, find the correct court and type in your name. It will tell you your charges. Your first court date will be your arraignment, or the formal presentation of charges. You should have retained an attorney by that time and they can wave that court date. If you have not retained counsel, you should plead not guilty and ask the court for time to get a lawyer. Make no statements about your case to anyone except your lawyer going forward.

You will not have to pay a civil demand, but you will have to pay restitution. Make sure that as you pay, you get receipts and keep them. This will help prove that you have made the victim whole. Another thing to consider is, the LP or store representative may not show up to court. If they don't your attorney can move to have it dropped.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you don't mind, PM me the name of the store you were caught at and I can tell you if they are a member of the NRMA.

Just an update. So I've said from day one I would do my best to try and return whatever was stolen and management seemed fine with that, actually a bit surprised for some reason. Anyways, I had tried to schedule some date and time when I could give the things back and move forward legally. The main manager's given me the run around and hasn't really returned my calls or emails, she only says "I'll give you a date later". So I email my old assistant manager and we agree to meet tomorrow to give her the items, everything is fine. Then I receive an odd email about 2 hours later saying for me to hold off and on the email it's sending a copy to the main manager and a police officer (after looking up his email). One can only assume what is going to happen next.

It appears they have already file a case. this is bad because your emails can be used and are an admission of guilt! Make no further contacts with store and seek a consultation with an Attorney today!! Do not delete any emails or contacts from and to store in fact print them out and take them to your Lawyer

That's another issue. I think I hired a lawyer but I'm uncertain. I talked to this guy on Tuesday, told him about me. My case and he said he'd charge me $1000, he's confident he can get it dropped to a misdemeanor. He asked if that was fine. I said yes. He got my info, gave me his card and said to keep him updated and keep my mouth shut if the police come around asking questions.

I'm sure this means I'm getting arrested, I'm still really confused right now about everything.

Call this Lawyer ASAP he will advise you what to do next. Have all contacts emails, letters calls etc ready to show him.

Well guys I'm being arrested tomorrow. I'll post an update when I get out. Hopefully it will deter anyone from doing the same thing I did, regardless of the reason. Thank you for all of your help

I don't know yet. I was just told it was 7 counts. I'm waiting for a call back from the police department to see if they'd tell me.

I don't think all of them are felony counts. I couldn't possibly think they would dream of sentencing me to 35-70 years for $2000. In which, they got back a little over half of it.

I do have a lawyer. I'll hear from him in the morning. I know anything is possible. I know never to be too sure of anything when it comes to the legal system

shrinkmaster said:
$2000.00 theft gives you another felony! You could possibly go to prison! Yes by all means talk to an Attorney several in fact! You need to know your legal options. I would also suggest you enroll and complete an anti shoplifting course.

I still think this option will help with sentencing

I honestly can't afford it, I looked into it and I really want to do it still but I can't. I know it will help in more ways than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back