Still own home with ex-husband - issues regarding sell or keep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

I have been divorced for almost a year now (September). I didn't hire an attorney because at the time, I was not working (stay at home mom and student) and couldn't afford one. My ex-husband and I still both own the home I live in. Both of our names are on the mortgage, and we split the payment every month.

I have a few questions relating to this:
1) I'd like to have a roommate move in, in which case he would pay half the mortgage to me as rent. I'd then pay the full amount every month to the mortgage company. My ex-husband says that he wants the renter to pay to HIM and then HE will write a check to the company so he can get the tax break. I say I should get the tax break, since I live here and it would be my roommate.

That made him angry, so then he said...

2) That I CAN'T claim the house on my taxes next year because my SSN is the second one listed on the mortgage. Is this true?

3) He is now pressuring me to sell, although in our divorce agreement he agreed to continue to pay half the mortgage for another 14 months. If I opt to NOT sell at this point, but I make each mortgage payment in full for the remainder of the time both of our names are on the loan, will that help me at all regarding tax deductions? He said even if I take over the payments he wants to claim the house.

4) If we sell, would we have to split the profit equally? This is my main residence and he owns two other properties...one of which I gifted to him in our divorce.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back