Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Stealing power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE1234

I had my power cut off back in Feb. DP had me on a payment plan, but finally couldn't pay it. My water was also later cut off. I survived those months. Last week I got terribly hot, over 100 degrees in the house, after a few days I couldn't stand it. I cut my power back on at the meter....so meter tampering...I didn't cut the seal, but used a small hacksaw to the latch to cut a groove to remove it.

Course after I did it, I had power, nice to run air and breathe again, etc., but I feel terrible about it and know they will eventually catch it. I know laws differ, but I later learned it was a felony in many states, so worried about that now. I don't know if it's a felony in NC, etc.. appears to be.

I have a severe nerve disease, lived with it for years but it's progressed, lost my job, ran my own business up to 3 years ago, then lived off savings...last year just living selling all my stuff on the net. I can't drive due to dizziness, sold my truck for nothing to live, have no phone, no medical insurance...long been off my meds, haven't seen a Doctor in two years.. Wife {disabled waiting for SS} and son left to move in with relatives to survive, I have none near and none that care. Basically trapped in my house with no way to get around or talk to people, cept through net....so I try to keep that on, as stated selling stuff on net is how I buy food and pay bills when I can. Mostly, I live in severe pain and dysfunction alone, deciding if life is worth living..., miss my wife and son so much.

I admit my pride got in the way regarding asking for help for years...worked full time since 14 years old, now 49 I do now try to get help, but can only use email, so I email who I can, salvation army, other places. A few churches helped with some money for power during the winter, but now the bill is about 600. I've emailed several help places, but all I get back is generic emails to call and make appts...I email back saying I have no phone and no transportation, get no responses. Need somehow to get on medicare, lot's of things, applied online, but still no results. I do try to get help now, it's hard for me, I'm ashamed I can't take care of myself, family, etc...I am the type that would probably rather die than admit I can't take care of myself....and now I'm in a hole I don't know how to get out of....I stay so worn down from pain with no meds, that I don't seem to functionally think right.....Houses are way spread out in my hood, decent middle income hood, no one has a clue the poverty I live in....I often go through neighbors trash looking for food, anything. I know some help may exist out there, but being stuck here, I can't seem to get to it.

Now I've become a criminal...I hate myself for doing it, but it's done. I don't want to get arrested, go to jail, etc...can't pay any fine or court cost. I do cut the breaker off as much as possible and using as lil as possible.
I know it's a crime, just saying I would never normally steal, I have autonomic issues and the heat became unbearable...I was telling myself not to do it, even as I was doing it, I've bet I've cut it on and off a dozen times.....I've swallowed my pride and emailed distant family for help, all I get is a lot of stories how rough they have it....

I thought about emailing Duke and telling them, rather than waiting to get caught and arrested, but knowing Duke they will charge me anyway. Not sure when the reader comes, old meter, but stress out all day when I hear a car pass.

Just want to know what kind of trouble I'm in and any advise on what to do. I couldn't stand being in jail. I'm going to cut it back off, just wondered if I should wait to get caught or go ahead and turn myself in. Problem is I get so hot, I can't seem to stop myself from cutting it back on....

Your financial problems are bigger than any criminal problem. If you can't afford to pay your bills then you have hard decisions to make about cutting expenses.
You will eventually get caught and will have only compounded your problem. You aren't likely to see jail time, but rather hefty fines.
I suggest you turn the power back off immediately to minimize the damage you are doing to yourself and then seek help wherever you can find it. United Way, Salvation Army, and local resources are out there- use them.

It seems you have compounded your problems by attempting to keep your home. Unless you are eligible for SS, SSI, SSDI or find a way to work at something, your upkeep, as you discovered, will be your downfall. I suggest you consider selling your house and moving into gov't housing or a homeless shelter, where you can possibly retrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back