Statute of Limitations on MV tax

MonaG

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
I keep getting letters from a collection agency stating that I still owe taxes on cars registered to me in the tax years 2001 and 2002. If the statute of limitations is 15 years then why do they say I still owe these taxes?

I keep getting letters from a collection agency stating that I still owe taxes on cars registered to me in the tax years 2001 and 2002. If the statute of limitations is 15 years then why do they say I still owe these taxes?

There are many theories about CT and its zeal for collecting old taxes, but only the CT tax authorities know why they persist with such zest.

You can Google, Bing, Duck-Duck-Goose, or Yahoo for further details because many opinions abound.

Some say its a scam, others say its greed, and others just want the CT tax authorities and their lackey collectors to cease.

If the statute of limitations is 15 years then why do they say I still owe these taxes?

A statute of limitations is a deadline for filing a lawsuit. Without filing a lawsuit a taxing authority could theoretically hound you for the rest of your life.

You never paid the property tax on those vehicles. The state will never end this until you pay them what you owe. Actually, it's not the state, it's whatever city or town you lived in at the time.

I don't know where you got this "statute of limitations" information, but you're wrong. You owe money and that's it.

Go ahead, but there is nothing to get a "second opinion" about.

You stiffed your local government and they want their money. There is no statute of limitations on collections as you were already told. If you think the town/city is just going to forgive your tax bill for no reason then you are crazy.

I would expect this to impact your credit also, if it hasn't already.

Are you a troll that comes on cites just to pick arguments with people. You don't know me or who got stiffed. I asked a question, and there is a statute of limitations. Go away, freak!!

Obviously you know everything, so I guess you just wasted your time here. Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out.

Back