Statue of Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyangel

i wrote a check that bounce around 5 years ago, i recently found out that i am going to be charged for it, i moved and never changed my address, so i never received any papers or notice from anyone that my checked bounced. what is or is there a statue of limitations on how long charges can be brought against u? thanks.

The statute of limitations varies from state to state. For several states, if the amount of the check is under $1,000.00 a case may have to be brought within 3 years. If it is a larger amount, the time period can be longer and may also involve other charges. If you are represented, your attorney will likely raise this defense.

its under 100 bucks, how would i find out what the statue of limitations is for the state of ohio? thanks so much for answering my questions, i have never been in trouble before and am very worried.

You should check the Criminal Code of the State of Ohio. If there is a statute of limitations for this conduct I would think it is short. However, your case seems to be very unusual and I would wonder why the prosecutor would move this small case forward after so much time and also not be aware of the obvious problem with a statue of limitations. It is possible we aren't receiving all the facts or there are other circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back