Statue of limitaions re:court costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemicalchaos

Roughly 10 years ago my wife (then girlfriend) and I wrote some hot checks. We paid them all off to the tune of nearly $2000 for about $500 in checks. Just the other day she received a letter stating she had a warrant for failure to pay court costs. When she contacted them they stated we paid our installments on time but then stopped. The amount they say is due is less than $300. Is there a statue of limitations regarding this?
thanks...

chemicalchaos said:
Roughly 10 years ago my wife (then girlfriend) and I wrote some hot checks. We paid them all off to the tune of nearly $2000 for about $500 in checks. Just the other day she received a letter stating she had a warrant for failure to pay court costs. When she contacted them they stated we paid our installments on time but then stopped. The amount they say is due is less than $300. Is there a statue of limitations regarding this?
thanks...
There may be. There is generally a 10 or 20 year statute of limitations on collection although many jurisdictons allow an extension if filed, if memory serves correct. I don't know what state you are in. In New York it's 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back