1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Starting my Business on Land with Undivided Interest

Discussion in 'Foreclosure, Repossession, Auctions, Short Sales' started by EricHal, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricHal

EricHal Law Topic Starter New Member

I own a undivided 50% interest in a ranch in California. I've realized that I could start a small business bringing people to the property to go hiking and swimming. I could charge $50 per person as a day fee.

Can I legally start this business? What are my obligations to the other owners? Do I need their permission to start this business?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

2. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

It's not that easy to start as business. There are rules/laws that have to be followed. You will probably want to talk to an attorney. He/she should be able to answer all your questions.

3. EricHal

EricHal Law Topic Starter New Member

Thank you for the reply Betty. Sorry if I was a little unclear in my original post. I have already started a similar business on another property that I own a 100% interest of, so I am familiar with all of the other legal requirements. In that case I formed an LLC and got insured, etc.

What I'm getting at in my original post is specifically about my rights as an owner of an undivided interest in a property. Setting aside all other requirements (registration of the business name, formation of business entity, insurance, etc) what are my obligations/requirements with regard to the other owners? In other words, can I operate the same whether I own a 1% undivided or 100% undivided interest?

Any general guidance or advice with regards to operating a business on property that has other undivided owners would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 3, 2013