Starting my Business on Land with Undivided Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricHal

I own a undivided 50% interest in a ranch in California. I've realized that I could start a small business bringing people to the property to go hiking and swimming. I could charge $50 per person as a day fee.

Can I legally start this business? What are my obligations to the other owners? Do I need their permission to start this business?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

It's not that easy to start as business. There are rules/laws that have to be followed. You will probably want to talk to an attorney. He/she should be able to answer all your questions.

Thank you for the reply Betty. Sorry if I was a little unclear in my original post. I have already started a similar business on another property that I own a 100% interest of, so I am familiar with all of the other legal requirements. In that case I formed an LLC and got insured, etc.

What I'm getting at in my original post is specifically about my rights as an owner of an undivided interest in a property. Setting aside all other requirements (registration of the business name, formation of business entity, insurance, etc) what are my obligations/requirements with regard to the other owners? In other words, can I operate the same whether I own a 1% undivided or 100% undivided interest?

Any general guidance or advice with regards to operating a business on property that has other undivided owners would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back