Stalking/harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

November

I'm a bit lost as to what might be done here. I am a resident of Georgia, but my harasser is a resident of neighboring South Carolina and the harassment has taken place online via a blogging site. There is no doubt as to who is behind the harassment, the party in question does not hide this information. This has to stop, as it is effecting my marriage. What are my options in the scope of a restraining order? Which state would the order be filed in? Would both parties still be required to appear before a judge at a court hearing and, if so, in which state?

This is important:

What exactly is the blogger doing? You don't have to be graphic, but the nature and content of the blog may play into how you handle this.

(The obvious answer is to stop reading the blog)

This is important:

What exactly is the blogger doing? You don't have to be graphic, but the nature and content of the blog may play into how you handle this.

(The obvious answer is to stop reading the blog)

There have been no explicit threats of physical harm, if that's what you're getting at, but the person has outlined plans to relocate to my area in order to better...well, stalk me, and both my wife and I are very uncomfortable with this. Aside from that, just general nastiness towards my wife and attempts to sabotage my marriage. She refuses to understand that I want absolutely nothing to do with her and will not stop in her periodic attempts to contact me despite the fact that I have made it very, very clear that I would like for her to stay away from my wife and I.

I am going to attempt to contact the blogging site where the information is hosted and see if they can either remove the content and restrict her access to the site or give me the name of her ISP so that I may contact them instead. Surely this sort of harassment is against their terms of service. If this fails and I see any further evidence that she intends to relocate to this area, I would like to know what legal options, if any, I may have.

I appreciate the help.

I can virtually guarantee that they won't take down the blog without a court order. They also won't give out the ISP without a subpoena - which is going to be difficult to obtain.

I'm not actually seeing any harassment of the type where you would be able to obtain a restraining order.

Again, the obvious thing to do is ignore her. You don't have to read the site.

I do empathize - because I have an ex whose current blog is actually beyond disturbing (I kid you not). However, there is nothing I can do - so I don't read it.

It's a choice - you don't have to allow this person any kind of control or influence over you and your marriage.

Remember, you're in control here. Don't answer emails, texts, or blog messages. She no longer exists. She is a non-entity. Believe me - by responding, by showing that it's disturbing you, by allowing it to interfere with your marriage all you're doing is giving her control and giving her no reason to stop.

I was afraid of that, but I can't say I'm surprised. I have refused to respond to her attempts since the last time I had to spell it out for her nearly a year ago. It's disturbing and a bit surreal in the worst way to see things like this posted about you on a public network. I suppose I can only hope she gets a grip on reality before she takes it too far.

Thank you for all of your help, and good luck with your own.

Last edited:
If you DO start getting threats, PLEASE don't hesitate to act. Come back here if you need to; that would change the dynamic.

Good luck, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back