Stalking and/or Aggravated Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elruin

Greetings! This is my first post here.

My fiance and I have been continuously harrassed by an individual who has gone to great lengths to remain unknown to us. My fiance has received between 3 and 10 "Restricted ID" calls on her cellular phone nearly everynight for the past 8 months. In addition to that, over the past 5 months we have both recieved messages through AOL Instant Messenger of rude and vile nature directed at my fiance from a variety of similar Screen Names.

The evidence points to someone who knows her and her family quite well, possibly a not-so-close acquaintance, or an ex-boyfriend. My instincts refer me to the latter. I have done a little research and have come accross the NY penal code (that's where my fiance lives) which discloses that the above actions can be classified as Stalking in the 4th Degree, a Class B Misdemeanor, and Aggravated Harassment in the 2nd Degree, which is a Class A, based on § 120.45.2 and § 240.30.1-2 respectively. This can be found at the following web site:

http://www.ncvc.org/src/main.aspx?d...ork214#stalking

I have found out from local law enforcement that cellular phone calls cannot be traced easily, nor can the messages as the offender rarely reuses the same screen name more than once.

I come to this forum asking for advice on how to tackle this problem, as it has been getting worse over the past 10 months. What should my first step be? Who should I contact and how should I put the wheels of justice into motion?

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to your responses! (I'm looking at you Thelawprofessor and NYClex)

-Elruin

Last edited:
Hey there. I am really sorry to hear this. I feel for you for sure. I have gone through being stalked also. It's not fun and can be scary. Those laws sound about right.
It is hard to trace cell phone calls, I had a hard time tracing my land line calls, eventually realized they were coming from payphones. I learned that most "stalkers" use payphones since they don't point to any individual. Crafty psychos... haha.... anyway...
What internet provider do you use? You should contact them(Yahoo, AOL/AIM, MSN etc.) about the harassment and give them the IDs. You may need to do this with the law enforcements knowlege and help. These companies keep records of created names in their database. It may be hard to get, but it's there, for sure. Also, they can usually trace the account and computer account and location. They don't do this without good reason or cause so again, get the law enforement involved.
Until then, there's always SpyWare and sleeping with weapons.... hahaha... not that I ever went that far....
;)
I was "lucky", my stalker just stopped calling( after saying "see you in 6 months"[and no, he never showed... I was stood up by my stalker...heh] ).
Don't be too quick to assume who he/she is to your fiancce, you really never know. This guy was no one to me.
I hope this helps. I wish you the best. Keep us posted!!

~*FR272012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back