Staff mistreatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

magareb

I would really like to have an answer to this:

Students seem to know their rights. They are quick to tell you, "Touch me and make me move." I witnessed a staff member tell a student, " you don't belong here, remove yourself." (In an area where custodial staff was removing material and custodial equipment was out. Essentially he was cutting. There was no class activity in that area at all and The student replies you don't have to talk to me that way. Staff member repeats, remove yourself 4 to 5 times then calls school safety. Student begins to call him vulgar names then proceeds to spit on him. Outside of reporting to the Principal, what is staff in their rights to do? Seems so unfair students can say what they want to say (and I'm just meaning extreme profanity and being called out of their name) and spitting in the face). Isn't this some form of assault?

I would really like to have an answer to this:

Students seem to know their rights. They are quick to tell you, "Touch me and make me move." I witnessed a staff member tell a student, " you don't belong here, remove yourself." (In an area where custodial staff was removing material and custodial equipment was out. Essentially he was cutting. There was no class activity in that area at all and The student replies you don't have to talk to me that way. Staff member repeats, remove yourself 4 to 5 times then calls school safety. Student begins to call him vulgar names then proceeds to spit on him. Outside of reporting to the Principal, what is staff in their rights to do? Seems so unfair students can say what they want to say (and I'm just meaning extreme profanity and being called out of their name) and spitting in the face). Isn't this some form of assault?

Yes, what you describe some would call an assault. Legally spitting on someone is a battery. The bottom line, in Texas (as well as other states), a teacher can report the matter to the police and have the student arrested and charged. That said, I suggest you consult with your admin and union, first. Doing that in some districts could make more trouble for the teacher than the student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back