spouse filed ammended tax return without my knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

karategirl5

In 2005, I was married and filed a joint tax return with my then-spouse in sheboygan county, WI. This past June my spouse (now ex-spouse) was found guilty of: Theft-Business Setting >$10,000, a class G felony, Wisconsin Statutes 943.20(1)(b). Because of this he filed an ammended tax return for the 2005 tax year, but did not consult me, or get my signature on the tax form. I have recieved from the IRS a letter stating that I am jointly responsible for the past due tax amount. Since we originally filed a joint tax return for 2005, I can see that the IRS would have my information for that tax year, but we were divorced in 2006. Am I responsible for this monitary amount? Do I have to sign the "Statement by Individuals or Sole Proprieters" sent to me from the IRS?

I don't know the details but I am guessing that, at least to the IRS, you are liable since your name is on the return as a joint signator. Getting back the money may require you to seek it from your ex-husband. The IRS just wants its money and it will seek to get it the same way joint credit card holders are sought by credit card companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back