spousal rights to marital home joint tenant right to survivorship father-in-law and h

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnamarie

My husband is in hospice care. We have 3 small children. I work full time. Our home is "joint tenant with right to survivorship" in the names of my husband and father-in-law. Am I correct in believing that when my husband passes our home will be owned by my father-in-law? I pay this mortgage out of my paycheck direct deposit. Where does this leave me and my children after his death which is imminent. Do I have any rights? My father-in-law is abusive and controlling. What are my rights? Should I continue paying the mortgage on a home that can be taken from me anytime? I need help. I live in New Jersey. Can someone help me?

Our home is "joint tenant with right to survivorship" in the names of my husband and father-in-law. Am I correct in believing that when my husband passes our home will be owned by my father-in-law?
Quite likely.
I pay this mortgage out of my paycheck direct deposit. Where does this leave me and my children after his death which is imminent.
It leaves you with a claim for unjust enrichment or constructive trust, for some interest in the house.
Should I continue paying the mortgage on a home that can be taken from me anytime?
Whose name is on the mortgage?
Have you discussed the impending situation with your husband and father in law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back