speeding ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

simms63ss

Why question is? the speedometer in my truck broke on tues. evening. Went to dealership to order a new one wed. at lunch time.Thursday on the way home I was moving with the flow of traffic, some vehicles got off a couple of exits before mine(remember speedo broke so I can only estimate my speed by traffic around me).didn't seem as though we were going that fast. Anyhow I come on a car who seems to be going really slow. i pass it and guess who is sitting in the median a state tropper. I thought no big deal. 2 miles down the road he pulls me over. Of course he asks if I know why he stopped me, I answer no. He said I was doing 81 in 70 zone (interstate). I tell him my speedo broke on tues evening and I have new on order from the dealer, and will be here friday.He look in truck and see needle pointing to 110 mph and not 0, and says yes i see that your speedo is broke.So I hope he is going to possibly going to give me a warning. Not so lucky, give me the ticket for exactly what I was doing 81 in a 70 zone, plus writes me a warning for the speedo. then of course tells me if I show up for court he cut the ticket in half, pts and fine. he even says judge might do better if I bring in proof of speedo being fixed. Is there any chance i can get all pts reduced and pay only courts and a fine with no pts. this is all taking place in South Carolina. any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanx, jeff:

Speedometer Speeding Question

"he even says judge might do better if I bring in proof of speedo being fixed. Is there any chance i can get all pts reduced and pay only courts and a fine with no pts. this is all taking place in South Carolina."

Hi Jeff

The troopers usually give you 10mph on the interstates in South Carolina. If you can show for court you should try to talk directly to the officer and see if he will drop the speeding ticket and let you pay on the equipment violation. Most judges would go along with his recommendation.

Take your invoice from the dealership to show that you did the repairs. This will help you on the insurance premiums if you can keep the speeding ticket off your record.

You should get a copy of not only the receipt for the speedometer being fixed but also for the estimate which happened before you received the summons. You also may want to make mention that you admitted to the officer about the speedometer and pointed out that you traveled at the accepted rate of speed that the officer had allowed all the other vehicles in traffic to travel at. According to his equipment, which you can challenge both his equipment and that your actual speed was above the speed limit, you were barely above the speed limit. In addition if need be, it would seem you were entrapped into going at that rate since the officer seemed to allow all others to travel at that rate and only you were stopped. You were induced into traveling at that rate of speed and believed it was acceptable based upon the inaction of the police. In fact, it is your belief based upon those circumstances that you were not speeding at all.

My guess? With much of the inequity one typically finds in traffic court, they will likely drop the points and make you pay the fine. It's a real stinger and hopefully you can do better... let us know and good luck!

Originally posted by simms63ss
Why question is? the speedometer in my truck broke on tues. evening. Went to dealership to order a new one wed. at lunch time.Thursday on the way home I was moving with the flow of traffic, some vehicles got off a couple of exits before mine(remember speedo broke so I can only estimate my speed by traffic around me).didn't seem as though we were going that fast. Anyhow I come on a car who seems to be going really slow. i pass it and guess who is sitting in the median a state tropper. I thought no big deal. 2 miles down the road he pulls me over. Of course he asks if I know why he stopped me, I answer no. He said I was doing 81 in 70 zone (interstate). I tell him my speedo broke on tues evening and I have new on order from the dealer, and will be here friday.He look in truck and see needle pointing to 110 mph and not 0, and says yes i see that your speedo is broke.So I hope he is going to possibly going to give me a warning. Not so lucky, give me the ticket for exactly what I was doing 81 in a 70 zone, plus writes me a warning for the speedo. then of course tells me if I show up for court he cut the ticket in half, pts and fine. he even says judge might do better if I bring in proof of speedo being fixed. Is there any chance i can get all pts reduced and pay only courts and a fine with no pts. this is all taking place in South Carolina. any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanx, jeff:

thanx for the follow-ups. freebird I didn't get a estimate of the speedo to be fixed, because I repaired it myself, I do have the receipt for the price of the speedo. I figure I'll bring my receipt, and the old speedo to court with me( or keep the speedo in the truck).I go to court on June 10. I figure I'll have to pay defective equipment charge and court charges at most, I hope.The state trooper I talked to yesterday said he would of gave the warning for the speedo and no ticket(to bad he didn't stop me).I guess I will play my cards as the fall and hope the cop who stopped me is honest or can remember what he said.

thanx, jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back