Speeding Ticket info incorrect

deehughes

Jurisdiction
California
Hi there, I am from New Zealand and was on holiday in California - pulled over for speeding apparently going 65+ in a 55 because I was towing an empty trailer. I asked to see the radar but was told to stay in the vehicle. The Navman system I rented said the speed limit was 70. I was given a written ticket and said I had to be in court in August, but I was on holiday and now back in NZ. I notice on the yellow ticket I was given that my details are incorrect. The officer has put down my middle name as my first name on the ticket. I want to know if it is worth contesting? Thank you

In California when you are towing a trailer the speed limit is never above 55mph.

Do you have a California drivers license or any intention of coming back to California? If not then I doubt this citation will ever catch up to you.

Based on what you have said you have little hope for a different result contesting it. If you do want to contest it and try to at least plead ignorance, you can look in to doing a trial by declaration which allows you to have your say by writing a letter. Otherwise you will need to come to California to do anything about this... Which seems very unnecessary.

If you never return to CA, which would be an incredibly dumb thing to do, there's nothing the sanctuary state of CA can do to a citizen of NZ.

In fact, the sovereign nation of NZ will never be notified this little event occurred.

Drive safely, mate, stay out of CA, if you ever return to the USA.

Back