Speeding ticket in Va 80 in a 70 but live NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTaylor

I was given a ticket for going 80 in a 70. I have no points on my license in NC. I am college student and broke. Should I get a lawyer to get this demised or reduced so it will not effect my NC record or can I go to court myself. This is my first ticket and I called a lawyer and he was going to charge me 500 plus fine and fees which amounted to $700. I am a poor college student. Could I go to court myself and if so what do I ask? It was my first time driving my dads car back to college and I was not used to it. What do I plead and ask for? Also being from NC and the ticket is in VA how does that effect my driving record in NC?

I was given a ticket for going 80 in a 70. I have no points on my license in NC. I am college student and broke. Should I get a lawyer to get this demised or reduced so it will not effect my NC record or can I go to court myself. This is my first ticket and I called a lawyer and he was going to charge me 500 plus fine and fees which amounted to $700. I am a poor college student. Could I go to court myself and if so what do I ask? It was my first time driving my dads car back to college and I was not used to it. What do I plead and ask for? Also being from NC and the ticket is in VA how does that effect my driving record in NC?

http://www.homillerlaw.typepad.com/

80 in VA could be (or become) a VERY big problem.

Take a close look at your ticket.

It doesn't just say speeding, does it?

It likely reads, "Reckless Driving."

It it does read "Reckless Driving" it is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

That's a much bigger deal in VA.

Don't just sign the ticket and pay it.

If you do, you will eventually have a criminal record.

You might want to call a few lawyers in the county where you received your citation.

Google (THAT COUNTY, VA traffic defense lawyers) [or a similar phrase]

Call a four or five, discuss the fines and options available to you.

Even with the legal fee, a good lawyer can get it reduced and eliminate that misdemeanor conviction.

Virginia reckless driving is a class 1 misdemeanor. That's a criminal offense, and it carries six DMV points, a potential fine of $2,500, and a potential jail sentence of 12 months.

Aside from the fine and jail time, your license could also be suspended up to six months. And a reckless driving Virginia conviction stays on your Virginia DMV record for 11 years.

You won't get any jail time, but the fine ranges anywhere from $200 (UP), plus those pesky court costs and fees!

If you appear alone, they'll destroy you.

Rather than do that, just pay the suggested fine, but that's stupid these days.

What you really want, if "Reckless Driving" has been charged, is "Improper Driving".
Many judges will reduce it to "Improper Driving" with traffic school, and that erases ALL of this.

That's how the deck is stacked.

So, try and get a lawyer. That's how they play the game in VA.

If you received a reckless driving ticket (or ANY TRAFFIC CITATION) in Virginia you can hire an attorney to appear in traffic court on your behalf.
For non-local (out of state) defendants, this is a great option.
Instead of driving hundreds of miles to contest your ticket, you can have your lawyer appear and take care of it for you.
Not looking to ruin your day, but you have to take this seriously.

I hear there are many traffic attorneys in VA that can be retained for about $100 to $200.
They are quite effective, and 99% of people report a positive experience after hiring one.
Positive am that the ticket just disappears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back