Speeding Ticket given to me but I am from Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassit

I received a speeding ticket 49 in a 35. This was in a rental car in Mesquite Texas. I know that speeding is bad but in mitigation I would point out that I was in a line of cars doing the same speed in a quiet non residential road and I had no idea I was speeding. it is hard enough to drive in the states to someone from Scotland as we drive on the left of the road, on the right of the car, in smaller cars at ususlly higher speeds and limits.

The Sheriff patrolman had never stopped a foreign national in 20 years of service. I could just ignore the ticket as even he said that they aren't going to chase half way round the world for a speeding ticket. However I did have to sign the ticket to say I would appear. Practically this is impossible as I live 3000 miles away and would need a week of work and around $2500 to get there.

I visit family once a year in Dallas and obviously am concerned that failing to appear could result in problems next time I come. The officer didn't even put my home address or driver number on the ticket, but instead put down the address where I was staying in Mesquite.

Can someone advise me on my options or likely outcome and also whether thic could give problem s for my relatives.

Regards

B

Hi again all. Sorry to see nobody can give me any advice but I guess it is maybe a little to diverse. Any advice would be appreciated.

On another point you guys in the US should think yourselves lucky. In the UK they are now using speed cameras everywhere. There are thousands of them fixed at the side of the road and almost just as many set up in mobile vans that they can set up anywhere. The "best" of these is earning around $50K a day which the police get to keep ....... for buying more cameras! The cameras will be responsible this year for issuing 3 million tickets and they reckon 1 in 5 people now have a driving record.

Anyhow the law issue to this is that the owner of the car receives a form telling them to nominate who was driving. If they can't remember or don't know then they are presumed to be the culprit. Similar position if you don't return their form, you are just charged with it anyhow, including a fine and a block of penalty points on your licence. This means that you are presumed guilty until you can prove yourself innocent !!!!

The right to silence is dead in the UK.

Anyhow fells any chance of some advice on the head of this post.

Cheers

B

I doubt many have had experience with this situation.

Since you're here once a year, I'd take care of it. Can't you just mail in the fine with the ticket?

Give the DMV or DA office a call, explain the situation and see what they can do.

I doubt they can cause any real problems for your relatives. You might problems renting a car next time if they notify the rental company.

Photo radar wouldn't last long in the great nation of Texas -- they be full of holes from 45 cal target practice ;)

Call the District Attorney for that area, or at least the police department that issued the ticket. Usually you can waive your right to appear in court (and admit to being guilty) by simply mailing in the fine listed on the ticket even if you said you would appear, especially in your circumstance. Good luck mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back