Speeding Ticket by being paced

Status
Not open for further replies.

piratereaper69

I just received a speeding ticket for going 90 on the freeway. When I asked to see the radar gun, the officer told me that he didn't use one that he paced me. Is this legal grounds for conviction or does he need a radar or laser gun? Is there anything I can do to fight it? It says on the ticked "Speed Approx 90". Please, any info regarding this will be helpful. Thank you.

Originally posted by piratereaper69
I just received a speeding ticket for going 90 on the freeway. When I asked to see the radar gun, the officer told me that he didn't use one that he paced me. Is this legal grounds for conviction or does he need a radar or laser gun? Is there anything I can do to fight it? It says on the ticked "Speed Approx 90". Please, any info regarding this will be helpful. Thank you.
AFAIK, there is no requirement that police use a radar gun. If you fight the ticket it is possible to get a reduction in the actual speed traveled. You can challenge the validity by asking questions such as "when did you start pacing me?" "What was the total distance you traveled?" "Did you speed up or slow down that might cause you to have varied speeds?" You probably know the answers to these questions. If it was on an open highway you may have a difficult time challenging the speed. You might also ask for verification that his speedometer was accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back