speeding in california

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidk

Ok, so i got ticketed for 95+ in a 65 in california
when i called they said the fine was $340 and that i could just go in and pay it.
I went in and they said that it was manditory that i go to court.

does this mean i am getting reckless driving? someone told me that it automaticly is, but when the cop gave me the ticket he said that he wasnt giving me reckless driving. But is there maybe an instance where the officer doesn't give you reckless driving on the ticket but the court does?

I am realy worried and nervous about court, am i likely to get my licence taken away? am i likely to be arrested?

I wasnt happy about the fine but now i am scared, do i need a lawyer?

I believe that due to your speed (more than 15 over posted), it is mandatory for you to appear before a judge.
The $340 is the standard fine assessed for traffic tickets. That's what mine is right now, and that's what everyone in front of me at the arraignment hearing had. You can pay an additional $28 for traffic school if you haven't gone in the last 18 months.
The reason, AFAIK, to appear before a judge is simply for arraignment. This is simply where they read you the charges against you (speeding), ask you how you plead, and tell you what the penalty will be. Even though you have been told it's $340, the judge is the final determinant of the fine; most reduce the fine (but not by enough to be particularly happy about), but some get cocky and on bad days arbitrarily increase the fine (especially if you don't show any respect to the judge!). Chances are the judge will give you a tongue-lashing, then tell you you owe $340 and be on your way.
Big Tip for you: treat the judge like you would royalty!! Dress in nothing less than a suit and tie. Always refer to the judge as "Your Honor" (never anything less, such as "Judge"). And if the judge asks anything (most likely, "Why were you going 95 in a 65?!? That's 30 over the speed limit! What were you in such a rush for?!?"), answer calmly, directly, factually, and without any sort of emotional or accusatory accents (such as "Well, the stupid cop had it in for me 'cuz he needed to meet his quota"). Appear humble and appologetic, but not ashamed. And most importantly--be CONFIDENT! Remember three things (in reverse importance): the judge, in order to be a judge, has decades of law experience and is undoubtedly at least twice as smart as you (unless you have a doctorate) and has heard every excuse in the known universe; the courtroom belongs to the judge--it's his/hers, and you're not a guest--you're someone seeking a favor from the master; the judge is the final determinant of your fate, if s/he likes your manners, you'll likely walk away with a reduced fine (don't forget to ask him/her for traffic school, even if you've been there recently!), but if you come off as a punk, you're going to get a punk's fine.
Good luck!

Story Time: Speaking of having heard every excuse in the book, here's a funny one.
There was this judge that, during every court session, would place a $50 bill on the edge of his podium. He told everyone in the courtroom every day that if anyone could give him an excuse he hadn't heard before, that person would have his traffic ticket dismissed and walk away $50 richer. For many years (a couple decades, I believe) he kept putting the $50 on the podium, only to have to put it back in his pocket at the end of the day. Finally one day a man in his sixties appeared before the judge for his speeding ticket. After the judge asked why he was dong 72 in a 35, the old man replied, "Well your Honor, I was going so fast because my wife just called me. She said that she was feeling unusually frisky, and that if I didn't get home in the next ten minutes I wouldn't be gettin' any for a month. And thanks to the officer that stopped me, I still have yet to get any!"
The old guy walked away with an extra $50, and the judge was left laughing his ass off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back