Sosial Security Problem

rooter

Jurisdiction
Washington
I was on SSI for several years (PTSD), and when I got a well-paying job notified them immediately. Next thing I knew, I was being audited for the last 12 months of SSI. She said I couldn't have been paying my bills with the income and assets I had. I proved with statements that I'd been living on credit cards, but she found against me, that I'd been "overpaid" SSI. What an angry woman.

I appealed, but unfortunately gave them the only copy of the documents. A couple weeks later my original credit card statements were returned to me by mail with no letter, and the address handwriting was that of my auditing officer. (hmm) I waited and waited for word, and finally after 6 months went back to their office, whereupon I was told there is no appeal and I was now past the appeal period! Naturally my appeal was 'lost' and was never annotated, although my visits to their office were.

I filed another appeal, and the same auditor who decided my case (How can they do that?) turned it down as untimely.

I lost my job after a year and found that Social Security had dinged my credit reports with a $6,700 unpaid debt, taking me down from a score of 804 to 670. Then they garnished my former employer. (good luck with that) Miraculously I'd managed to buy a house with this sh*t on my record, but I was charged higher interest. Now I want a HELOC. but higher interest because of this SocSec issue alone.

I read that Washington now has a new law with stricter reporting requirements; three of four identifying items must be correct, or the item must be removed. I suspect though that they give SocSec an opportunity to correct, and even if its removed it could take months for my score to improve. How can I navigate this process to get this unjust black eye off my record? I work in a field of trust, and this sort of problem also impairs my ability to get a job. (THANK you, SocSec, is this what you really want?!) Is there any other way to get this removed?

I have reapplied for SSI for the time being, retroactive to January, but they are insisting that I also get Social Security, but it is too early and I'll be penalized for the rest of my life.

Why do battle with the gubmint dragons, when many knights of the law stand ready to be your champion?

Talk to several attorneys who specialize in social insecurity.

Sure, they charge a small fee which is taken out of your social insecurity award.

The award the legal knight receives is limited by the gubmint social insecurity bureaucracy.

If the champion fails you, you owe nothing.

Now, a little story.

I know a woman who was charged with social insecurity fraud.

The gubmint alleged she owed $60K.

Brother did they hound her.

It was said she worked under the table for a guy, while collecting those sweet social insecurity "bennies" for four years.

It was even hinted at that the firm paying her was owned by her.

Don't know if any if that was true, but she found her an eager, young aggressive champion.

In six months, he convinced the gubmint to drop the $60K they once alleged she owed them, and reinstated her "bennies" with $30K in unpaid "bennies" and the champion got $3K, meaning he got her $33K, she kept $30K.

WARNING - YMMV

At least talk to some eager champions.

I've had a pro bono firm asking them for info for six months but I'm not optimistic.

I don't have money for a lawyer.

You don't need the money.

Most lawyers will take a modest fee on a contingency basis.

That means, if you don't get paid, the lawyers won't get paid.

If you hire the right lawyer, you BOTH get paid.

Six months is nothing.

I've done about six of those cases for relatives, and it averages at least 18 months, often 24 months.

The quickest was two months, but my sister was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer and was told she had less than a year to live.

In those cases, SS expedites the matter.

I also managed to get her US Senator involved.

That was a rare exception.

Mind you, SS is not what like to do, I did it to help family.

Find the right lawyer, you'll get the right result.

Consult an attorney but if it was determined by Social Security that you were overpaid, you owe the money back and it will appear on your credit report until the debt has been satisfied. You mention how much time has passed but it sounds like it has been more than a year, in which case you are more than likely out of luck and well beyond the time frame to appeal.

ElleMD, your post was not helpful at all.

I am looking for -positive- steps I can take, now. I can not go back in time in a time machine and pester them every week about my appeal. I had respect for the process and was patient, but it turns out that the process is corrupt.

Back