Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Son's MIP/MIC Summons

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0hncage

Son's MIP/MIC Summons - State=Washington State, RCW 66.44.270(2)(a)

Today my 20yo son received a court summons for an alleged event that took place on 6/25/2009. My son lives in another city because he is away going to school and when I called to mention it to him, he drew a blank and had no recollection. Later he called and let me know he was at a friends house months ago on about that date and the police showed up, took IDs to check (presumably wants & warrants), returned the IDs and they thought that was the end of it. No citations were issued at that time and nothing until now. There was alcohol present but there was also friends who were over 21 and nothing more was said, statements taken, etc.

He's leaning toward pleading not guilty when he returns home for that mandatory court hearing and asking for a public defender to ensure his rights are watched over. My question is: Is that first hearing the actual 'arraignment' where the plea is entered and the request for a public defender made?

Seems odd that this would be going on this many months after the alleged offense where no signed citations, etc were issued.

TIA for any help.

John
Washington State

Yes, plead not guilty and let the publid defender make it go away. This sounds very old and weak, and unlikely to go far... unless there is more to it that your son hasn't told you about.

What about the state's case

Isn't the police report a matter of public record where my son can pay his (~$35) for a copy of the police report used to charge him?

The police report is a matter of public record and should be free to him if he is mentioned in it.

Is there any difference as to who requests the copy of the police report and when they do it? (i.e. my son getting it before the first hearing or letting an attorney get it after he pleas not guilty at his first hearing) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back