Roomate Son wants girlfriend and her daughter to move into house we own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karoline

Our son wants his girlfriend and her young 6 year old daughter to move into the 3 Bedroom house my husband and I jointly own ( with a 35 year mortgage). Our son has been renting this house for the past 3 and a half years, in another town whikle going to university, along with other tenants. There is currently a male, University student renting one room with a lease. Our concerns are as follows: the GF wants her young daughter to make use of one of the bedrooms ( a tenant is moving out of this room), and she will share one bedroom with our son. She is interested in a lease agreement and we are wondering what additional items need to be added. We are wondering if his GF has any legal rights to out property if she ever leaves our son.....since the house is NOT in son`s name....can she ask to have the house sold and get half of the proceedings EVEN so the house is not in our son`s name....because they will be living COMMON-LAW in the eyes of Revenue Canada. Can GF ask to have our son pay for HER daughters keep EVEN after they couls break up...if living common -law....the child is not our son`s , its from a failed relationship 7 years ago. His GF went BANKRUPT in 2009 affter she broke up with her ex- partner, she says she owned a house, but her dad died and she couldn`t pay for her house and the funeral expenses. She seems like a really nice girl, 4 years older (29) than our 25 year old son. They seem to be in love and get along really well....have alot in common. I just want to protecy our son and our property. What will be her legal rights, once she is moved in permanently. Our son has given her temporary shelter since her apartment was broken into by a criminal and the heater is broken.

Once she meets the requirements of being a tenant, to "get rid" of her you'd actually have to legally evict her.

This applies to Canada as well as the US, but if you need something more specific you'll need a Canadian attorney.

Never loan money to relatives, and never rent them property.

Why?

They'll stiff you, or you'll go soft on them.

Either way, its never worth it.

Think about the way they've been living, they haven't advanced, they've regressed.

You're free to make your own choices, but all I'd do is offer them temporary financial assistance (in cash).

You also don't want your name on things they should be liable for paying.

As Pro said, if this goes south, you'll be required to formally evict them.

That only makes a bad situation more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back