Criminal Trials, Hearings Someone Please Help. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post1979

In 1999, I was in a stolen car. I was 19 scared to death, and did not know the car was stolen. When we got pulled over, the girl got out of the car and ran. They didn't even bother to chase her. They handcuffed me and took me in. They asked me questions about who she was...and I couldn't give them a last name because I just simply had asked for a ride home from work. The car wasn't broken in to, that I could tell. She had keys and everything...make a long story short, I was sent to jail waiting to plead my case, and I was let go after 1 week. I thought it was over. I got on with my life, went back to school, ended up moving to Atlanta, I'm working, engaged, might even be pregnant. I have a good job and then in August I get pulled over, and sent to jail because there was a warrant out for my arrest in Chicago. So, my fiance' went to a bail bonds place, I got a Writ (whatever that is) and then I get out, but have to check in with them every week in person. It's been almost 6 months and I have yet to be assigned a court date. My best friend says that it would be wise for me to wait until next year to worry about it, because it will be 7 years. I'm so law stupid. I've never done anything bad, I'm not familiar with all of these things. I need to clear my record, but I'm scared. There are innocent people in jail and I don't want to become one of them. It's not like I've been running...it wasn't my case to fight, so I went on with my life. I work, I file for taxes, it was no secret where I was living and doing. I wasn't hiding out. So, I don't know what to do. I don't know if they ever caught the girl, or if they just tried to pin everything on me and I don't know what to do? What is a statue of limitation? Does this apply to me? Someone PLEASE give me some advice on what to do. I am scared.

Thanks,

Post1979

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back