Someone hit my parked car-- andt claims damages!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terzarima

How do I proceed?

Here is the skinny:

Recently I went to Providence RI to attend a concert. I parked in a parking garage, in a legitimate parking space, and parked only in the space alloted to me.

When I returned, someone had shoved a note under my windshield saying that hit their car and that they called the police.

I received a "Hit and Run" report from the Providence police station about a week later. I just spoke to the police officer today, and here is what the person reported:

She admits that my car was parked, and and that I was absent, and also admits that the parking space next to me, which she was trying to squeeze into was so tight she only had about three inches of space in which to open her driver side door. I assume that this did not deter her from opening her door anyway because she opened it, slammed into my door, and sustained damage to her vehicle. My car was not scratched.

She claims she waited for me to return, and when I didn't, she called the police and filed a hit and run complaint against me-- this despite the fact that she was the one who hit me, and I most surely did not run anywhere.

The way I look at it is that she hit *ME* and that it was a lucky thing that my car was not damaged. I was always under the impression that parking was the driver's responsibility and that if the space was that tight, maybe she should not have parked there. I cannot imagine how this kind of claim can be legitimate.

Can I really be held responsible for her car under these circumstances?

Thanks for any feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back