Sold used car, now buyer wants a refund

Arturo

Jurisdiction
New York
I recently sold my car, this past Sunday. It was a 2008 BMW 535i and now the buyer wants a refund. He came, checked the car out for about an hour ( half of which was spent driving the car around), and he liked what he saw. I suggested we take it to a mechanic since he was so eager to pay me before going to one, so we drove around on a Sunday looking for a mechanic for a good half hour before he decided he just wanted to buy the car without having a mechanic look at it. After we agreed on a price he paid me in cash and I signed off the title and bill of sale. However, I didn't keep a copy of either of these items because of my inexperience with selling cars, and my idea that everything with the car was fine. About 5 or so hours after he left with the car he texts me to let me know the car shut off on him, and i immediately thought he ran out of gas since the tank was running low. However, the next day he tells me he had the car towed and that a mechanic told him he would need a brand new engine costing him 6,500.

Now, the question is will I be forced to return the money he paid for the vehicle? I told him everything that was wrong with the car to my knowledge, this being the paint damages, and to me the car was in perfect working order since i drove it daily and just had my mechanic fix the last known problem (power steering hose) a month ago. During the 3 or so months that I had the car there were no engine problems, or any stalling or anything that would lead me to believe the car would completely go bad within 5 hours of selling it. If it were up to me I would've kept the car, but since I had to pay tuition and I spent all my money on the car I decided I should sell it - $1,000 less than what I paid for not including the power steering fix - in order to be able to pay tuition. He has called me multiple times, and the last thing I've heard was that he will have his lawyer involved. At this point I'm not sure if I am being scammed or what since it is so odd that the engine fails completely 5 hours after selling it...

Will I be required to refund this man for his purchase?

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Last edited:
Private party car sales are not covered under the state "lemon" law.

Of course, the buyer can sue you but we have no way of knowing if that would happen.

If he sues you, you defend.

The judge will ultimately decide, IF he sues.

I suggest you stop doing this.

Why?

Sooner or later, YOU will run into THAT GUY who is willing to KILL you over buying, then churning, old, used, buckets of bolts!!!

This MIGHT be THAT GUY, the one who will KILL you because he feels you STOLE his hard, earned, ill gotten drug money!!!!

A pimp gotta be a pimp.....

Pimpin' ain't easy, yo.....

If he sues you, you defend.

The judge will ultimately decide, IF he sues.

I suggest you stop doing this.

Why?

Sooner or later, YOU will run into THAT GUY who is willing to KILL you over buying, then churning, old, used, buckets of bolts!!!

This MIGHT be THAT GUY, the one who will KILL you because he feels you STOLE his hard, earned, ill gotten drug money!!!!

A pimp gotta be a pimp.....

Pimpin' ain't easy, yo.....

Lol, I appreciate your response. I didn't expect the car to go bad on him, I just couldn't afford my tuition so I needed to sell it to make some money.

Generally private used cars are sold "as is" - buyer should have car checked out before buying if there is a concern. However, of course, he can "try" to get his money back by suing.

After he took the car... Did he race it? There is a lot of unknowns here. Most times the courts will side with the seller on a used car. You don't know what he did after he left.

Here's a tip, one of hundreds, my dad gave me soon after I bought my first car.

Son, if you ever sell a used car simply GIVE it away, asking the beneficiary of the gift to return to you a "love offering" approximating what he or she would have paid for the car.

Dad reasoned that if the beneficiary of the car ran into problems with the gift, he couldn't come back on you for selling him anything.

Yeah, Dad was also just a simple, poor, country lawyer.

Back