Sold Used Car, Buyer Wants His Money Due to Failed State Inpsection

jaweiss

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I am from Illinois which is where this car was titled and registered at. I sold the car via Craiglist to a gentleman who lives in Missouri. He is telling me the car has all sorts of issues and won't pass Missouri inspection, Wants his money back. I am NOT a dealer, Just a private individual selling a used car. I had not had the car but a few months so I personally was not aware of any issues. I stated this very clearly in the Craiglist ad, I am not a mechanic and was not the original owner of the vehicle and was basically just selling it. I described the car the best to my knowledge and ability and the car was being sold as is with no warranty. The individual setup a time to come look at the car, Nothing was off limits to him. He looked at the vehicle, Test drove the vehicle and decided to purchase the car via cash. We signed the title and off he went in the car. He could of paid a local mechanic to look at it, Or even brought his own I wouldn't of cared. I guess my question is am I under any legal obligation to take the car back or pay for any repairs related to pass inspection in his state?

My state (CA) would require the seller to have a valid emissions certificate before the sale could be done.
Does your state require emissions testing?
Is emissions one of the problems?
That is the only angle I can think of where there might be a valid argument to make.
Otherwise the car is the buyer's problem now.

My state (CA) would require the seller to have a valid emissions certificate before the sale could be done.
Does your state require emissions testing?
Is emissions one of the problems?
That is the only angle I can think of where there might be a valid argument to make.
Otherwise the car is the buyer's problem now.

They have not stated the issues and I have not asked. Only certain counties in Illinois require emissions testing, The county this car is registered in does not require emissions testing.

It appears the emission test is only required when trying to register the vehicle and isn't rquired at the time of sale.
If you have been paid and released the title then make sure you notify your DMV of the sale for release of liability and be done with it.
I'd ignore any further contact from the buyer.

It appears the emission test is only required when trying to register the vehicle and isn't rquired at the time of sale.
If you have been paid and released the title then make sure you notify your DMV of the sale for release of liability and be done with it.
I'd ignore any further contact from the buyer.

I have filled out the detach voucher on the title and printed a copy of the release. Both items are being sent to the Illinois SoS office today via mail. I believe that is all that is required from what I was informed. So yes, They are being sent.

More H-A-P-P-Y CraigsList "sellers" and "buyers"...

More H-A-P-P-Y CraigsList "sellers" and "buyers"...

It isn't Craigslist that's the problem. The problem is the buyers and sellers who use Craigslist and don't apply any common sense to their transactions.

I've been buying and selling cars and household stuff through Craigslist since 2000 when it became available outside of California. Never had a problem with any transaction.

There is no more, and no less, risk of using Craigslist than there is using newspaper ads, eBay, Backpage, Auto Trader, Facebook or any other advertising milieu.

It's the people who are the problem, not the conduit through which they advertise.

It isn't Craigslist that's the problem. The problem is the buyers and sellers who use Craigslist and don't apply any common sense to their transactions.

I've been buying and selling cars and household stuff through Craigslist since 2000 when it became available outside of California. Never had a problem with any transaction.

There is no more, and no less, risk of using Craigslist than there is using newspaper ads, eBay, Backpage, Auto Trader, Facebook or any other advertising milieu.

It's the people who are the problem, not the conduit through which they advertise.

You don't impress me as an idiot.

You practice common sense and engage in your due diligence.

You are the person that SCAMMERS fear.

You are well informed, don't make stupid decisions, practice restraint, understand contracts, and can't be bamboozled.

Most buyers on CL are ill prepared to deal with the CL seller.

It's all rather tragic, isn't it?

Back