Sold car a year ago, new owner never transferred title, now running turnpike

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursedanielle

I received a letter in the mail from the Turnpike Authority yesterday saying that a car I sold 12/24/2011 has been running toll booths and has racked up about $300 in outstanding tickets. I have since proven to them that I do not own this vehicle by proving the date it was removed from my insurance. However, I went to the DMV and had them run the registration on this vehicle, which comes back as still being registered to me.

The tag's are expiring this month, so I know they will have to transfer the title at some point. (Well, I at least hope they would.) I am unable to locate the bill of sale and have not been able to contact the purchaser. I do not want to report the vehicle stolen, because it was not stolen, and I am trying to avoid falsifying a police report. Is there anyway I can get this vehicle out of my name or at least relinquishment any responsibility for it?

You may have some responsibility here. You were required to notify the DMV of the sale after it was completed, very much for this reason.
If they accept your proof of the time of sale you might be OK, but they don't have to accept since you didn't do what you were supposed to months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back