Sold a car without smog

Sahmad

Jurisdiction
California
Just sold a car on Craigslist without smog. It was a 1997 Honda Civic I came down to $1,900 cheap and I told him he has to get them smog him self. I had the buyer sign an as-is form saying that I am not providing a smog and that the car will be sold as is. 1 week later he's calling me back saying the car won't pass smog after he put some work into it and wants his money back do I legally have to give it back to him?

Just sold a car on Craigslist without smog. It was a 1997 Honda Civic I came down to $1,900 cheap and I told him he has to get them smog him self. I had the buyer sign an as-is form saying that I am not providing a smog and that the car will be sold as is. 1 week later he's calling me back saying the car won't pass smog after he put some work into it and wants his money back do I legally have to give it back to him?

I think you KNOW the answer.
In case you don't, can you guess what MIGHT happen if he sues you?

Here's what your state's (CA DMV) says about selling a older than 4 years old car that fails to pass smog inspection:

If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the a smog certification was submitted within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.

If you do sell it without a smog certification and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for repairing it to the smog certification standards.

California DMV Regulations for Selling Cars | DMV.org

To be clear, your document was as worthless as that rusting heap of bolts you sold that sucker!!!

Back