Smoking in Prohibited Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

nballin

After few hours of visiting the park's observatory, I went outside the building next to trash can to smoke a cigarret and was ticketed by the park ranger.

It was violation of Los Angeles Municipal Code 57.25.14 stating smoking in a mountain fire district is prohibited.

The problem I have is that there were not any "No Smoking" sign any where near where the act was committed. I found ONE "No Smoking" sign later, about 200 yards away from the spot.

Also, I was smoking next to the trash can that had ashtray on top of it.

Finally, I had no knowledge of mountain fire few weeks earlier, and therefore designation of mountain fire district. And, they made no effort to inform of such incident.

I also have photos showing nearby area of the spot that I was smoking with time stamps.

The questions are,

1. Is it worth while to plead not guilty and go through court procedure if they charge me with infraction and just some fines?

2. Does infraction charges stay on my record? If so, for how long?

3. Do you know of any case that someone was charged with misdemeanor with similar offense?

Finally, I had no knowledge of mountain fire few weeks earlier, and therefore designation of mountain fire district. And, they made no effort to inform of such incident.

The reality is that this stuff was all over the international news.

The folks out there are just nuts about this stuff.

So if it were ME, I'd pay the fine real quietly and then sneak off a take a smoke in some place surrounded by water.:angel

so, do you think it will be just some fines and nothing more?

if that is the case, I will pay few hundred bucks and forget about it.

I'm just worried that I might get in more trouble than that.

so, do you think it will be just some fines and nothing more?

if that is the case, I will pay few hundred bucks and forget about it.

I'm just worried that I might get in more trouble than that.

I don't know the law you are charged under.

Ask the city prosecutor's office what the range of punishment is.

for those of you who were wondering about the result

i went to the court today, and the judge dismissed misdemeanor charge

and fined me $50 for court cost under infraction charge

thank the lord!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back