Repairs, Maintenance Smelling neighbors cigarete smoke and other things

Mute9003

Jurisdiction
Washington
i live in low income appartments and for last few months i have been smelling whatever the neighbors are doing upstairs.
Especially cigarette smoke. It literally feels like someone smoked in my bathroom, not just a tiny bit of smell.
I wrote them few emails. Even threatened to withold rent or hire an outside professional to fix it. But they dismissed it saying that its not an emergency.
Even my kid complained few times about the smoke
These are smoking apartments btw.
correct me if im wrong but each unit should still be sealed off from the other unit as far as ventilation
I cant really move anywhere at the moment since this is all i can afford and everything else is more expensive. Or much worse condition.
Im on a month to month lease and not sure if they can kick me out if i take any serious action against them.
Im not very good with the legal system in usa. dont really understand how to handle small disputes like this.

correct me if im wrong but each unit should still be sealed off from the other unit as far as ventilation

OK, you are wrong. There is no such law. It would also be very hard to do. So hard that if it were done the apartments might no longer be low-income apartments.

Your best option is to start planning a move to a new location. You have nothing to threaten anyone with. Trying to do so will only annoy your landlord and possibly make things harder for you. Keep it friendly and move out as soon as possible.

i live in low income appartments and for last few months i have been smelling whatever the neighbors are doing upstairs.
Especially cigarette smoke. It literally feels like someone smoked in my bathroom, not just a tiny bit of smell.
I wrote them few emails. Even threatened to withold rent or hire an outside professional to fix it. But they dismissed it saying that its not an emergency.
Even my kid complained few times about the smoke
These are smoking apartments btw.
I cant really move anywhere at the moment since this is all i can afford and everything else is more expensive. Or much worse condition.
Im on a month to month lease and not sure if they can kick me out if i take any serious action against them.
Im not very good with the legal system in usa. dont really understand how to handle small disputes like this.
Personally, I would explain the problem to the offending neighbor (politely) and ask if they could refrain from smoking in the bathroom.

I don't know what can be done about the odor of smoke in the air, but the people who BBQ and smoke meats (unless I'm doing it) can be annoying.

The discourteous people who leave porch (and other lights on) polluting the lovely dark during the evening hours is another annoyance.

The noise polluters who race down the county roads disturbs me, too.

Silly me, how dare I forget those uncivilized louts that allow their annoying pet beasts to bark, yap, and howl all night long.

I don't know what can be done about the odor of smoke in the air, but the people who BBQ and smoke meats (unless I'm doing it) can be annoying.
I freaking love the smell of your BBQ...It's annoying because I'm jealous.
The discourteous people who leave porch (and other lights on) polluting the lovely dark during the evening hours is another annoyance.

Sorry....that would be me. Lights deter B&E.

The noise polluters who race down the county roads disturbs me, too.

My neighbor does this with his 30+ year old POS rustbucket that has no tags....sigh...

Silly me, how dare I forget those uncivilized louts that allow their annoying pet beasts to bark, yap, and howl all night long.

Doggies like to talk to us...barking is how they do it. The howling is doggie talk for "Open the door and let me in!!" ;)

Doggies like to talk to us...barking is how they do it. The howling is doggie talk for "Open the door and let me in!!" ;)

We don't own and canines or felines.

We do own quite a few bovines, equines, and even some porcines.

That said, I concur, the owners of the barking, howling canines should heed this dude's plea:

Open the door Richard - - -

Back