Consumer Law, Warranties Slow internet service

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they haven't given me any trouble for going over the bandwidth limit. But their bandwidth limit, I believe, is 5 gig a month. They don't enforce that, and StopTheCap would be very interested if they did. And if you go over it they limit you to higher than our switches allow anyway, so I wouldn't know if I had run into it. I used to be able to download 80 gig a month or so before they put everyone on the line. Frontier bandwidth limits are ludicrous beyond the range of proper wording.

I can't imagine any contract which would keep them from responsibility for false advertising. Are you saying that their contract could protect them?

I'm saying your dispute needs to go through arbitration rather than court, and as previously stated you are probably looking at small refund rather than a remedy.

I don't know about the switches, but it sounds like you are the type of high end user for which they have their fair use restrictions in place. However, if everyone in your area has the same slow connection then that would not seem to be the case. Have you confirmed that neighbors have the same problem and you are not targeted for excessive use?

I think the concept of arbitration is moot based on this portion of the agreement:

The Broadband Service speeds identified in Frontier's marketing materials and other communications with you reflect service capability speeds "up to" the noted speed and are not a speed guarantee. Actual speeds will vary and depend on a multitude of factor s including but not limited to, your location, destination and traffic on the Internet, interference, wiring inside your home, office or apartment, the capacity or performance of your computer or modem, the server with which you are communicating, internal network factors, and the networks you and others are using when communicating. Service is not available in all areas, and may not be available at certain speeds (or at all) at your location, even if Service is offered in your area or our initial testing indicated that your line qualified for a particular speed or Service.
Installation options vary and charges may apply. Service may be subject to technical line qualification.
Some homes may not be able to receive Frontier 's satellite Broadband Service as a result of trees or other obstacles that block the
signal from the satellite to the home. In order to utilize Service, you must have a computer with sufficient Internet compatible equipment and software.

In addition to disagreeable's posts, the question is whether it was ever represented to you that you would specifically be able to reach 6Mbps. If it's a general ad in a newspaper, that is not a targeted offer. If you called up for service and they verified your home as able to be serviced and then they made a representation - that would constitute consumer fraud through intentional misrepresentation. There is also the question of what you pay per month - is it the same as others nearby not subject to the cap and who do receive up to 6Mbps bandwidth? If not, then perhaps you were paying the appropriate amount and there may have been a misunderstanding.

What is it you want, exactly? If there is no way they can or will provide you with that bandwidth, you've got a choice - either buy wireless services or determine whether a fair rate is being made available to you and accept a modest settlement if it appears you were overcharged for the service.

I'll add one final observation about civil law in particular, and criminal tangentially.

I call this the "no one cares principal". It's my observation that most laws were created to protect the nobility, upper class, hoity toity, landed gentry, the blue bloods, the upper echelon, the well heeled, etc...

When that crowd has an issue, the world stops. Yet, when the underclasses, the unwashed, the unclean, the little people, as Leona Helmsley once said; have issues, NO ONE CARES.

So, here's a person with a consumer complaint, he's just a guy, and NO ONE WILL CARE.

The law has no remedy here. The law doesn't care, and if the law doesn't care, it won't act.

If "just a guy" acts up, misbehaves, breaks the precious law, the law cares, the law acts.

Disabuse yourselves that anyone cares about you or your problems. Their laws aren't meant to care for you, but to keep you in check.

Our ancestors trekked here centuries ago, displaced the native people, took (as in stole) their land, and suddenly laws preventing such actions were created to protect the new landowners. Some imported or bought people they called slaves. No one cared about slavery, heck it's rarely mentioned.

And, when slavery was ended, along came Mr. Jim Crow. And, so it goes. No one cares.

As a lawyer who once believed the law cared and can work, I think otherwise today. I've seen some helped over the years, I've also seen more harmed, hurt, or forgotten.

Okay, an old man has ranted. I'm as frustrated as the people victimized. But, rather than act out, I chant quietly, NO ONE CARES, and I'm calm again.

I know what they can do when riled. I'm older now and don't want to feel their ire and wrath.

Just remember, because you may care, NO ONE CARES ABOUT US, except US!!!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

I'll add one final observation about civil law in particular, and criminal tangentially.

I call this the "no one cares principal". It's my observation that most laws were created to protect the nobility, upper class, hoity toity, landed gentry, the blue bloods, the upper echelon, the well heeled, etc...

When that crowd has an issue, the world stops. Yet, when the underclasses, the unwashed, the unclean, the little people, as Leona Helmsley once said; have issues, NO ONE CARES.

So, here's a person with a consumer complaint, he's just a guy, and NO ONE WILL CARE.

The law has no remedy here. The law doesn't care, and if the law doesn't care, it won't act.

If "just a guy" acts up, misbehaves, breaks the precious law, the law cares, the law acts.

Disabuse yourselves that anyone cares about you or your problems. Their laws aren't meant to care for you, but to keep you in check.

Our ancestors trekked here centuries ago, displaced the native people, took (as in stole) their land, and suddenly laws preventing such actions were created to protect the new landowners. Some imported or bought people they called slaves. No one cared about slavery, heck it's rarely mentioned.

And, when slavery was ended, along came Mr. Jim Crow. And, so it goes. No one cares.

As a lawyer who once believed the law cared and can work, I think otherwise today. I've seen some helped over the years, I've also seen more harmed, hurt, or forgotten.

Okay, an old man has ranted. I'm as frustrated as the people victimized. But, rather than act out, I chant quietly, NO ONE CARES, and I'm calm again.

I know what they can do when riled. I'm older now and don't want to feel their ire and wrath.

Just remember, because you may care, NO ONE CARES ABOUT US, except US!!!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Hey Army Judge, thank you for that, you're right of course and it is good to hear someone say it. I know they don't care, which is why I was here thinking that maybe I could cause them some trouble. But note their desperation when trying to make sure they can see our internet communications (they want back doors, but people have access to encryption they can't break). I will take your advise and disagreeable's and see if there may be anything I can do. The power of Indian tribes amplifies my complaint, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back