Slander question

Status
Not open for further replies.

impalabear

My sil has an issue. Here's some background:

My sil found out that a girl in a different department was messing with her husband. She confronted him about it but has not said anything to the other girl. My sil has friends that work with this girl and they keep her informed on things that go on. Well the girl filed a harassment on my sil saying that my sil has been following her, texting her, and been making work impossilbe since she is bothering her. My sil never followed or texted her. When confronted about this issue from her supervisors they even said that this would go no where and was just letting her know what was going on. Well the girl has continued to talk about my sil saying she is crazy and that she follows her and stuff. Everyone now knows about it and my sil wants to know if she could file for slander. After the intial filing the girl dropped it.

So my question is would she have a case??

Thanks for the help.

This is more of an HR issue not a legal one. There is really nothing aganst the law against "slander" because it is very hard to prove. SIL does not have much of a case becaus she still has a job, and cannot prove a financial loss, which is a requirtement for slander.

This best is taken up with HR to see if they have a policy against gossip, etc..

Slander amongst community members

Please advise.

A family member went to a friend's home for lunch. There were approximately 8 other individuals present. One of these individuals (attending the lunch) verbally humiliated and slandered my family member in public for their divorce and family situation. The divorce took place 12 years ago.

In the past, this individual who attacked has been known to become belligerent and verbally abusive with other members present at the lunch. This individual's behavior has now been presented twice to my family member. We are seeking advice to stop this individual's behavior and ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

What are our rights and/or what actions can we take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back