Slander/Defamation of Character

M

Mike Shelton

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I am having a serious problem with my previous apartment management company. I have found out through several other apartments that I have applied for that they are slandering me, which is keeping me from being able to rent another apartment. They are accusing me of smoking in the building, mostly, I believe. I heard directly from several other landlords that they continue to claim that I violated the lease, but it was a smoking building when I moved in! The carpet was not replaced, it had burn marks all over it, nor had the nicotine stained walls been painted. After two years, they decided to make it a non-smoking building, and I did not smoke inside anymore, however they continued to accuse me of smoking, and other petty things. This continuing slander is making it impossible for me to find a new apartment that will accept me! I have it from several other landlords that they are telling them bad things about me. I am about tp be desperately homeless! I am disabled and this is MN, so homeless people freeze to death here! I just want them to stop slandering me!!! Unless they have pictures of me smoking in their unit, they can't prove a damn thing!!!
Then, they're also saying that I violated the rules when I reinstalled a ceiling fan. (after they finally did some improvements on the place) I did do that, but only because I had no idea that was a problem, since the apartment had 3 ceiling fans in it when I moved in.

Now, they continue to ruin any chance I have of being approved for another apartment!!! What can I do? I am disabled and living on SSI, so I can't afford much. I need this to stop so I can get into another apartment!!!

What can I do? I am disabled and living on SSI, so I can't afford much. I need this to stop so I can get into another apartment!!!

The apartment management is expressing their opinion of your tenancy.
It has nothing to do with you, your personality, or any medical issue with which you suffer.
All you can do is keep applying and seeking a home.

If you were BIG BUCKS BROWN, you could order your lawyer to sue the apartment manager/landlord.

You would probably not prevail, but your lawsuit might ruffle a few feathers.

As it is, you have little (if any) proof of what you claim.

However, truth is always an affirmative defense to slander or libel.

In this particular instance, the apartment management is simply answering to the best of their ability questions put to them about your prior tenancy.

It isn't as if the complex is calling other complexes and saying bad stuff about you.

It appears to be only when a complex where you've applied calls and inquires about your prior tenancy that your former landlord provides answers.

Nothing wrong with that scenario, boss, nothing at all.

If they believe you are smoking in the place, they can share that with anyone who calls for a reference. Same with telling them you broke the riles by installing a fan.

Slander requires a false statement to be made. If the building changed from a smoking to a non-smoking building then those are the rules and technically the management company would be correct based upon those facts. This is a tough case to make even if you're right, especially to prove oral statements.

Back