Other Criminal Procedure shoplifting

Yes.
If the store is no longer in business then it is possible that witnesses against you might not show up to court, but most people will accept a plea offer long before they find out who will show up and who won't.
Since you say you have already been charged that means you should have a date set to appear in court. Make sure you show up.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like your daily. When stopped were Police called and/or were you given citation?

Yes.
If the store is no longer in business then it is possible that witnesses against you might not show up to court, but most people will accept a plea offer long before they find out who will show up and who won't.
Since you say you have already been charged that means you should have a date set to appear in court. Make sure you show up.
Thank you so much

If arrested then charges have already been filed and yes you will have a court date

That isn't necessarily true. If the arrest was recent it could be a month or more before formal charges are filed, but it is not uncommon to have an arrest that does not result in a formal charge.

The business closing and potential inability to locate necessary victim/witnesses could result in no prosecution. Time will tell.

I was charged with shoplifting but the store is no longer in business. Can I still be charged?

You're kidding, right? Why would you think the victim of your crime going out of business would let you off the hook?

When you kill someone, the victim no longer exists. Amazingly, though, you can still be charged with murder.

I

was arrested and charged with shoplifting 3rd degree

You were issued a citation.
You will not be formally charged with an offense until you appear in court.
You can discuss with an attorney what your options might be. If it is a first offense you can likely keep it off your record and not risk going to trial.
In order to find out if the business closing might potentially lead to a dismissal for failure to appear you would have to turn down that initial option and take an unnecessary risk.
When you go to court do not plead guilty. Ask for an attorney if you don't already have one and ask about diversion programs.

Back