Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

S

StCroix

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I attempted to walk out of a grocery store today without paying and was stopped by the store manager. I said I just forgot to pay and went back in and paid for my items (salad for lunch and 1 pack of raspberries) with cash as he watched. Walking back out again after paying, he confronted me again and said he was letting me off the hook and that he could have had me arrested. Said he had me on camera other times taking food, which was true but I didn't admit it. I offered to pay for the items again and he declined my offer and told me to leave which I did.

Should I be worried that they will go back and review the security footage and come knocking on my door at home or work looking to press charges? Is that scenario common? Any other advice other than not to steal anymore?

Should I be worried that they will go back and review the security footage and come knocking on my door at home or work looking to press charges? Is that scenario common?

When people get bamboozled, hoodwinked, or ripped off; they get angry.

The guy cut you a break.

Even if the store's management wanted to seek your prosecution, it would be impossible to do so 24 hours, 72 hours, or 168 hours AFTER the date the ALLEGED event transpired.

That said, stay out of that store for at least 20 years.

You need to understand that when a store discovers a serial thief, his or her picture gets circulated around the community.

I suggest you never steal anything again.

The price you eventually pay is far more than a few dollars to buy some junk you could have done without.

What I find important is my freedom.

I think you would agree that you like your freedom, too.

Therefore, just don't do any more stupid stuff.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Can they go back and look at old footage? Yes they can. Will they? Not likely

You should also know that repeatedly stealing in this manner can change the offense fruition a petty theft to a felony depending how the wedding of your state statutes is.
Your previous thefts could easily show your INTENT to commit a theft when you entered the store. Here in California had this happened and the store called police and given evidence of repeated thefts, I could have taken you to jail for a felony burglary. That's an expensive salad!

Back