Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

C

Cvvc

Jurisdiction
California
A couple months back me and my friend got caught shoplifting. She had taken multiple clothing articles and asked to take one, I didn't want to but ended up agreeing. As we were leaving the store we got stopped and taken to a back room where they took our picture, got our ids (I only had my student id which had only my name and no other information) , and had us sign a form saying we were banned from the store (kohls), then they let us go. My friend received a letter asking her to pay a certain amount for the incident. I did not receive anything. Im currently in the process of petitioning for a green card, if a background check is ran can this incident come up? Im extremely worried this can ruin my chances.

A couple months back me and my friend got caught shoplifting. She had taken multiple clothing articles and asked to take one, I didn't want to but ended up agreeing. As we were leaving the store we got stopped and taken to a back room where they took our picture, got our ids (I only had my student id which had only my name and no other information) , and had us sign a form saying we were banned from the store (kohls), then they let us go. My friend received a letter asking her to pay a certain amount for the incident. I did not receive anything. Im currently in the process of petitioning for a green card, if a background check is ran can this incident come up? Im extremely worried this can ruin my chances.

Yes, committing a crime of moral turpitude can derail your ability to obtain a Green Card.

You had a choice.

You knew stealing was wrong and illegal.

Yet, you stole.

Good luck, self acknowledged thief.

I'd bet you are ok.
This apparently isn't going to result in any legal action against you, and they did not obtain an identification from you that can be used to verify your identity with much certainty if there is a match in any other database. The less information you provided the better off you will be.
There is no way to know for sure what a background check will reveal.

Back