Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessbella

I live in Las Vegas, NV. I got caught shoplifting at a Smith's Grocery, $70 worth of makeup. Nothing was opened, used or damaged and I gave it all back. I did everything they asked and was respectful. This is my first time shoplifting and I never been arrested. I have a clean record... Only 2 traffic tickets I am already taking care of. The cops were not called but before they let me go they took down all my info, did not take any picture, but had me sign 2 papers. The trespassing one and a confession of judgment. Like i said it's my first time and i was scared that if I didnt do what the asked they would call the cops and I would get arrested. So after I signed the papers he was holding it in his hand and walked me out. All he said was he didn't call the cops. I did not get any copies of the papers. He also told me I would receive a letter in the mail. I'm still waiting for it. He said if I don't pay any fine I owe or don't appear in court there will be a warrant out for my arrest. I'm a single mom of 2 and unemployed. I don't own anything and times are really hard for me. My father recently passed away and I don't get any kind of help or child sapport from the dads of my 2 kids. I'm depressed and extremley stressed out. What's going to happen if I get a letter in the mail? Will this stay on my record? Please I need some good and helpful advice because like I said this is my first time ever getting into legal trouble like this and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd really appreciate some good advice. Thank you!!

The letter you receive will likely ask you to pay a couple hundred dollars in penalties.
Failure to pay will not result in a warrant for your arrest, but could cause the company to make a theft report. If a warrant were ever issued as a result of that report you would be very unlikely to actually be arrested, but rather receive a citation ordering you to appear in court and answer to the offense.
You have no obligation whatsoever to pay the amount demanded in the letter, but not paying it leaves the door open for further action. You are not required to do anything at all until a judge orders you to.

The letter you receive will likely ask you to pay a couple hundred dollars in penalties.
Failure to pay will not result in a warrant for your arrest, but could cause the company to make a theft report. If a warrant were ever issued as a result of that report you would be very unlikely to actually be arrested, but rather receive a citation ordering you to appear in court and answer to the offense.
You have no obligation whatsoever to pay the amount demanded in the letter, but not paying it leaves the door open for further action. You are not required to do anything at all until a judge orders you to.

This is about the worst advice I've ever seen you give on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back