Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatkills

I was caught shoplifting three years ago at a grocery store. The ammount was less than $20, and the store recovered thier goods. I served community service and recieved deferred adjudication. Then I recieved a series of three letters threatning to sue if I did not send the store's lawyers $485. Friends advised that they were trying to scare me into paying, but would not take me to court. Under the law they referenced (Texas theft Liability act) the most they could get is $1000 but, there were no actual damages. Then a month or two ago, the letters began again at my new adress. My parents were called and told to tell me to call the law firm, causing an akward situation for me. I looked up the law firm on the web and it seems all they do is loss recovery debt collection. Will i be sued? I am not going to send $485 without knowing why, but if I talk to the law firm i worry i will bring more attention to myself, as i believe a computer program generates the letters automatically at certain times. What is the statue of limitations on petty theft, perhaps that is why i am being contacted again, because time is running out for them to collect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back