Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

geet

Hello all I new to this site but I need help. I stole something from a Wal-Mart worth $90 and got caught in the store they brought me into the LP room and there I waited for the cops they didn't arrest me, which is weird because everyone that steals from this store usually gets arrested. They said I would be getting a summons to court... I don't know what to do from now. I am a H4 immigrant. Do I plead guilty, try to bargain or not worry about it because I have never been in trouble with the law before, not even a speeding ticket anything. It is almost a week I haven't receive any summons even. Will it affect my husband GC process or my visa status?
How can I check if it is on my immigration record? Can they deport me? I don't have any paper or reference yet. Maximum how long it should take to get court summons? I am in Mass so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

You are in a very serious situation now. Shoplifting is considered a "crime of moral turpitude". A conviction of such a crime in most cases leads to deportation and inadmissibility for entry into the United States.

You should immediately contact a criminal defense lawyer with experience in the defense of aliens. There are ways to try to come to a deal with the DA which would not result in a conviction as described by immigration law and therefore spare you deportation. But many criminal defense lawyers do not know enough about this, so make sure your lawyer has experience in this. If in doubt, consult an immigration attorney, too.

Your husband is not affected by this.

Last edited:
Hello all I new to this site but I need help. I stole something from a Wal-Mart worth $90 and got caught in the store they brought me into the LP room and there I waited for the cops they didn't arrest me, which is weird because everyone that steals from this store usually gets arrested. They said I would be getting a summons to court... I don't know what to do from now. I am a H4 immigrant. Do I plead guilty, try to bargain or not worry about it because I have never been in trouble with the law before, not even a speeding ticket anything. It is almost a week I haven't receive any summons even. Will it affect my husband GC process or my visa status?
How can I check if it is on my immigration record? Can they deport me? I don't have any paper or reference yet. Maximum how long it should take to get court summons? I am in Mass so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Ok, I want you to know that I have a similar problem, so here is my story: I came here to the USA in 2003 and have two kids with my husband. We had to wait until he got his US citizenship to get married in the US law and to apply for my green card. We did not apply for my green card yet ( meaning I was still illegal ) because we were ignorant of the law and thought that if we were to file for my papers, since I had overstay my visa, I would be deported. So we waited until one day, I took my older son who was 4 to the store with me. It was a busy day for me and my son was really fussy so I put him in the cart and grab all the stuffs I needed, but when I went to pay, in the rush -with my son screaming and so- I missed few items in the cart (my son is pretty big) and I did not mean it, but they all believed I used my son to get away with free things which was not. Well, they took me and my son to a room and then when checking my papers, they saw I wasn't a legal resident, they call the cops and a cop came and took me to the police station , took my fingerprints and picture and tried to contact the INS. They sent me to court for petty theft and when I went, I said I wanted a lawyer which I got. I did not want to plead guilty because I know I did not intentionally walk out without paying these few items. When I met with the lawyer, we talked about it but also how much it would cost me to go on trial, so he suggested me to plead guilty and pay the fine rather than spending a lot of money on the trial. I thought few days and was really upset but my husband and I couldn't afford a trial, so I pleaded guilty, paid the fine in full and am now on probation, which does not scares me since I am not a thief. Three weeks after my arrest, I took a Immigration lawyer and he help us apply for my residency. We were really freaked out about how it would turn out with that on my records. I even disclosed it in my application. Even knowing this, they sent me my working permit and also went to the interview. They just asked me if I had been arrested and I said yes. They just looked at my court papers and receipt for full payment of the fine. No questions were asked and they said, we're going to approve you right away and you'll get your green card in two weeks. I also took my two kids that day. just to let you know that you have to go see an immigration lawyer. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back