Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting under $50

Ehsr

Jurisdiction
California
I made a huge mistake I am greatly sorry for doing. The loss prevention asked me to come to the back as I was about to walk out of the store with 2 items totaling $34. He told me he just wanted me to return the items I didn't pay for. I did and apologized. He asked for my id He had me write down the items and sign a paper I was too nervous to read entirely and then took my picture saying it goes in a database for other stores in the area to see. He said he wasn't calling cops and told me I could go. I can't eat or sleep worried that something is going to happen. What can I expect? Since he has my pic and saw my Id will I be charged with anything later on?

No, you won't be charged with a crime. There will be no police contact and no court.

What you didn't read was a document that likely told you to stay out of the store. If you should return to the store you may be removed for trespassing.

You will also receive a letter called a civil demand. It will request that you pay some amount of money as a penalty. When you receive this letter I suggest you take it to a local attorney or two for a quick consult to determine whether or not you should pay the demanded amount. It is not a fine and is not a legal debt- just a demand that you pay. It will likely demand $200-300 but can range from $50 to a maximum of $500. The letters tend to be somewhat threatening in nature in order to persuade you to pay but don't be intimidated as they are all bark and no bite.

Your identification info is also put into a database used by retailers. This can cause problems for you if you attempt to get a job in retail or another job that entails an in depth background investigation.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily.
the database is only an issue with you work or plan to work retail. Civil Demand on other hand does have some bite if your not careful and make a poor choice. Read links and watch video below for more on Civil demand

Civil Recovery

Got the civil demand letter. However, I currently am a single mom, I have no job, no bank account, no credit cards cause I haven't worked in a few years and trying to finish up school to get a better job. What will happen if I do ignore the letter?

Got the civil demand letter. However, I currently am a single mom, I have no job, no bank account, no credit cards cause I haven't worked in a few years and trying to finish up school to get a better job. What will happen if I do ignore the letter?

Most likely nothing at all will happen.
I suggest you take your letter to a local attorney for a quick, and likely free consult to learn how these demands tend to be handled in your area.
Remember you have no obligation to pay unless ordered by a court. The amount they might win in court would be less than the cost of going to court. Moreover, even if they get a judgment they can not take what you do not have. You are not worth their time to pursue. Their best chance of getting paid in most circumstances is by threatening action and scaring people into compliance. It costs them very little to send you a letter vs take you into court
Don't take my word for it though. Hear it yourself from an attorney you trust.

Most likely nothing at all will happen.
I suggest you take your letter to a local attorney for a quick, and likely free consult to learn how these demands tend to be handled in your area.
Remember you have no obligation to pay unless ordered by a court. The amount they might win in court would be less than the cost of going to court. Moreover, even if they get a judgment they can not take what you do not have. You are not worth their time to pursue. Their best chance of getting paid in most circumstances is by threatening action and scaring people into compliance. It costs them very little to send you a letter vs take you into court
Don't take my word for it though. Hear it yourself from an attorney you trust.
Thank you so much for your time

Usually you'll just receive more letters, finally the letters will stop.

Yes you may choose to ignore the letters. However there "could"be consequences for doing so. Much depends on how much you choose to risk. Again look at links and video I provided this IS my area of expertise!

Back