Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting, petty theft, student, not a U.S. citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

manchester125

I am an 18 year old student at California State University, Fullerton.
I am being charged with petty theft (misdemeanor). The item was a blouse with no tag, and I was later informed that it cost $138. I was walking out of the store and there were people behind me. The sensor went off on someone behind me, and we were all asked to come back and searched as a group. Nothing else of importance was found on me. I was told I am not allowed in any of the store locations for 3 years, and was given a paper stating that I will receive a letter dealing with the monetary issues. However, I did not sign anything. The Santa Monica police was called. It was a citizen arrest. I stayed in a cell for 4 hours. They took my fingerprints and picture and performed a background check before they let me go.
My record was previously completely clean.

Here is the catch: I was born in Russia but grew up in Canada, where I am a citizen. I have been a California resident for about six years. I currently have a U.S. Permanent Citizen card.

My parents are extremely worried. Will this affect my chances of ever getting a U.S. citizenship? Are there any chances it will be marked as an infraction? Furthermore, is there a possibility of getting expelled from college?
Should I plead not guilty or no contest? Do I need a lawyer for this case?

Yes, I know. Shoplifting is stupid. I learned my lesson.

Thank you for your help and time!

I would consult a layer because they will save you in a court room. Hopefully some on else can give you a little better advice. Good luck with everything!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back