Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting - costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile999

I was caught shoplifting at Costco and it is my first time doing it at this place. I'm 18 years old by the way. Basically, my parents are Costco members and I'm not. I somehow managed to sneak inside of Costco because I just wanted to look around and eat free sample food. Somehow, I really wanted to buy this product that was worth around $2-3 but like I said, i didn't have a Costco card with me and I wouldn't be able to buy it. Somehow, this crazy idea...stealing something that is worth $2-3 would be harmless. Well while i was walking out, I was stopped by security and asked me what I was hiding. I showed it to them, and they asked me for my ID. I cooperated with them and gave them my Driver License.

I didn't go back into their office or anything. They asked me if I'm a Costco member and I told them my parents were. I also told them that I came alone and my parents aren't around for me to buy this product. I told them straight up that I'm willing to pay this product if I can buy it. (This product is basicly unwrapped since it was a sample/demo) I told him that you can keep my driver license for now, while I get the boxed product.

I returned to them with the boxed product, and he told me to pay for it at the cashier. He returned my Driver License, and told me that he's going to go easy on me and he doesn't want to see my in this store again.

I'm not sure if they copied down my driver license because I didn't see them do anything cause i was getting the boxed product for like 2-4 minutes. I didn't sign anything, and they didn't report this to the police so it seems. I bought the product and walked out.

I have a clean record, do i still have a clean record? I was wondering if my poor decision action will affect my parents' Costco membership. Example, will they be able continue to renew their membership?

PS, this product original price is around $20-23...it has 16 quantity...8 large and 8 small...the demo was a large...so I'm basically stealing 1/16 of the original boxed product which I'm going to assume $2-3 at most...am i considered stealing $20-23 product or $2-3? Will it matter?

Last edited:
They may have let you off in the interest of maintaining good relationships with your parents, etc.

Or they may have let you off for any of a number of possible reasons.

You risk having your parents' membership canceled as well.

Had they contacted police then you would have been arrested for misdemeanor petty theft. If they wanted to get creative, you might have even been arrested for felony burglary since you did sneak in with intent to munch on the samples... which might be considered a theft of service since members do pay for that. It's a stretch.... just a matter of how the report is written though.

Anyway.... stay out. You are likely on video and they have your information. They most certainly documented the incident at the local store, and should you return they can simply make a phone call and report the theft with all the evidence.

Interesting though.... your first sentence says that it was your first time stealing "at this place". Makes me think you have been swiping stuff elsewhere.... take it is a warning. These guys cut you a break. You are an adult and will go to big boy jail if you don't knock it off. You might get away with it from time to time, but you will get caught eventually.

Probably sue to dollar value they let you go. I would not return to store thugh. Consider that an early Holiday gift. You can learnmuch about retail theft go visiting the forum site linked in my signature line

Thanks for the response guys. "Interesting though.... your first sentence says that it was your first time stealing "at this place"." Your right, I have no idea when I started to stealing stuff like a pack of gum, it's really a bad habit and I'd like to stop. I think it started around 5 months ago, losing in online poker gambling made me do more crime? But yea, I never aimed for like luxury stuff, only like a can of red bull or a pack of gum. Yesterday was a wake up call for me, and I'm kind of glad that I got caught. I hope that I wouldn't continue this path and get the idea that I'm able to steal luxury stuff like i Pods.

Should I personally go back and apologize to them? Write them a letter? Email them? I don't want to attract attention on myself again and they taking this case more seriously. Am I banned from all Costco stores or just that one? Can i come back in a few years later with no intention to steal anything?

Thanks for the response guys. "Interesting though.... your first sentence says that it was your first time stealing "at this place"." Your right, I have no idea when I started to stealing stuff like a pack of gum, it's really a bad habit and I'd like to stop. I think it started around 5 months ago, losing in online poker gambling made me do more crime? But yea, I never aimed for like luxury stuff, only like a can of red bull or a pack of gum. Yesterday was a wake up call for me, and I'm kind of glad that I got caught. I hope that I wouldn't continue this path and get the idea that I'm able to steal luxury stuff like i Pods.

Should I personally go back and apologize to them? Write them a letter? Email them? I don't want to attract attention on myself again and they taking this case more seriously. Am I banned from all Costco stores or just that one? Can i come back in a few years later with no intention to steal anything?

Costco

Hello to the original poster. Hopefully, you can shed light on what has happened since your experience.

We had a similiar situation in our family with a Costco episode.

Our Costco card is through our employer so I am curious if anyone knows if Costco tells the person who registers the cards, employer, why they are cancelling a card.

Or, is that individual just cancelled in the system.

I would appreciate any input one may have on this.

Dont worry, you dont have a criminal record, your parents card wont be cancelled, and you wont be fined.

Dont steal anymore. Its not worth it. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back