Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting Citation

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaX

I was 16 when caught shoplifting, and I received a letter recently. I am still currently 16. I letter says that no further actions will be done about the case, and that I am receiving a citation in which if I were caught again I would be judged more servery.

My question now is...
When I apply for something (like job, college, etc), do I say that I have been arrested before?
Will the record be gone after I turn 18?

Thanks.

Note: I received a letter for the civil demand already, and the payment has been done.

Its a commonly believed myth that your record disappears at 18 its not true. Most job applications only ask about convictions since we do not know the contents of the letter you mention or any court dispositions we cant say much more

This is exactly what the letter says:

"It has been brought to the attention of this Department [County of Santa Clara Probation Department] that on 4/10/2010 your child was issued a citation by the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety alleging petty theft of personal property.
"This misconduct warrants your serious concern. It is important , at this point, that your child be impressed with the fact that he, to be a successful member of the community, must learn to behave in a responsible manner and to adhere to accepted standard of conduct. Failure on your part to communicate these facts or failure of your child to accept them may well lead to more serious consequences in the future.
"No appearance will be required, nor will further action be taken by this Department, in this incident; however, if your child is again cited to this Department, more serious action and possible referral to the Juvenile Court could result.
"If we may be of any assistance to you or your child at any future date, please be assured of our cooperation."

That's all.
So the citation will stay with me forever and I will have to mention it when I apply for a job, college, etc?

OmegaX said:
This is exactly what the letter says:

"It has been brought to the attention of this Department [County of Santa Clara Probation Department] that on 4/10/2010 your child was issued a citation by the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety alleging petty theft of personal property.
"This misconduct warrants your serious concern. It is important , at this point, that your child be impressed with the fact that he, to be a successful member of the community, must learn to behave in a responsible manner and to adhere to accepted standard of conduct. Failure on your part to communicate these facts or failure of your child to accept them may well lead to more serious consequences in the future.
"No appearance will be required, nor will further action be taken by this Department, in this incident; however, if your child is again cited to this Department, more serious action and possible referral to the Juvenile Court could result.
"If we may be of any assistance to you or your child at any future date, please be assured of our cooperation."

That's all.
So the citation will stay with me forever and I will have to mention it when I apply for a job, college, etc?

Good for you...don't ever do it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back