Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting charge do i really need a personal lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandria81

Basically I am wondering if it is best for me to get a personal criminal defense lawyer or will the court grant me a public defender? does it matter how much i make that will determine if the court will just allow me to get a public defender? i dont make too much money. thats why...anyway can public defenders also ask for diversion programs or other methods of consequence for the crime instead of having it that i have a conviction of my record? please let me know. i really dont want to hire a personal lawyer bc its soo much money but if i have to and if theres more likelihood of a less severe punishment then i guess i have to do that

It's a game of chance. I've heard of people who got public defenders who didn't get them diversion because they were incompetent. I don't know what's keeping them from getting it for you. It can't be that difficult if you're qualified to get it. If you get a public defender, you just have to keep at him to do a good job and not slack off. Make sure you are getting what you deserve. Ask him if he has had experience with shoplifting cases and if he knows what he's doing.

I got a lawyer for a flat fee of $750. I am confident with him because he has had a lot of experience. Good defense lawyers have had experience as prosecutors. They know what they're fighting.

public defendent

you got a private lawyer for $750 even if it goes to trial? i talked to 2 lawyers and they said it would be $600 for just trying to make a plea bargain with the DA, but if it goes to trial they will charge $2000..so yeah thats where im worried..thats alot of money to me...also another question...did you hire a lawyer before or after you received a court date?

yes

If you can afford a criminal defense lawyer you are always going to be better off. The advice and counsel that you receive will not only help you achieve a better result, but calm your anxieties and uncertainties about what is going to happen with your case. It really comes down to a matter of money. You may or may not get the same result with a lawyer. But then again, you don't buy insurance because you know you are going to get sick. You do it just in case.

Yes, you need a lawyer

If they have a court date set, you need a lawyer. Let him negotiate with the DA, trust me, he'll do a much better job than you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back