Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting a $19.99 shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipoca10

I was shopping with a friend when i thought I forgot my phone in the restuarant we were in. I went to look in my bag unto which I dropped on the floor, unto which the contents went all over the floor. I scrambled to get everything and put it back.

My friend and I went to leave the store and the alarms went off. The store clerks checked my bags and inside was a shirt...I had been looking at it, and in my scramble must have put it in.

I have never stolen anything in my life, have no record, and also work retail in a store that is based on honesty!!!! I couldn't believe it, I was so frazzled, they took me upstairs, signed papers, and then took my picture. I received a letter from them saying that I would be asked for monetary damages.

The shirt was 19.99 I believe, and am 22 years old.

I do not want to pay a fine, since I did not do anything. So I have a few questions.
1. Will i have to go to court?
2. Would i be able to not pay a fine, since I know i didn't do anything?
3. Is it worth contesting?
4. What should I do next?

Do you know what papers they had you sign? Many times the store will have you sign something stating you will not return to the location, or in some cases a paper stating you will pay a certain amount of money to the location. I would first re-contact the location and speak with the manager of the location to try and settle the situation. If the store has video cameras it would probably be evident that you mistakenly put the item in your purse. If this does not help and it is a large retail chain you may even try the customer relations number and see if you can get some help that way. I would not worry to much about criminal action as they did not have you arrested or cited at the time (although a police report can be made in the future but unlikely). Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back