Criminal Law Shoplifter ,green card holder avaded court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivalarte

Dear Sirs this about the biggest mistake in my life.About a year ago while attending mental health clinic rehab program for chemical substance dependancy
I had an accident getting drunk and when I " woke up " getting conscious I was charged with shoplifting around $400 ,in K-marts -Jersey City -various goods that I would rerely need ,anyway I spent around four or five days in Hudson county Jail ,released on 250 $ bail. And when first hearning was postponed I escaped from USA ( horrified what happened ) and continue my medical treatment here in Poland.I have never been arrested,MA in clinical psychology and MA in Film directing .I want to come back and stay at court as soon i get money for attorney.
But I need your advice because some people told me that I will be stopped at the airport and sent back to Poland by immigration office. Please Help.
Mike

This is not legal Advice!

Hi Mike, you are in a very sticky situation if you decide to return to the USA.

First of all you have left the USA, second you more than likley have an outstanding warrent. If you attempt to enter the USA, you will proberbly not be sent home to Poland. First you may have to stand trial, then get sentanced and then get sent home. So if i was you I would thank your lucky stars you are away from you temptations and out of jail... Anyway this is only an opinion, it's purely your choice. Take Care.

Thanks so much muggsyj. By the way is there a legal way to find out if there is a warrant issued upon me.I have heard about paid service or something. See I have a family in US. Thanks.

This is not legal Advice!

Hi Mike, I am not sure if there is a legal way to find the information you seek but i am sure there is someone willing to find anything out for money, this is the way of the world we live in.
It is a shame you are in this situation but I can't help you, I can only give my opinion.
Good luck with what you decide to do.

Take Care

Muggsyj is right........But if you want to know if the status of your case or if there is a warrant out, then you need to hire a lawyer here. It can be done by phone. But I must say escaping hurts your case......Not only because the criminal act violates your visa waiver program, but you might have committed more CIMTs by escaping. The theft charge alone might have been okay via petty crime exception thereby leaving to still visit the US freely. But running away might make you inadmissible.......

1- What was the maximum possible jail time for your offense?
2- In what state?

Let us know how it goes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back