Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifted & caught, no information taken though

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallSno218

Hi I was caught shoplifting at a local electronics store. As I was paying for goods at the register (by debit card) the LP came and put down the opened package on the counter, and quickly left. I was never charged for the item. I proceeded to the exit where they customarily check receipts and bags and was asked if I had anything else. I said nothing and walked out of the store.

My question is since they have not taken down any of my information, will I be in any trouble (press charges?)
Or can it be safe to assume that I (obviously) should never do it again and never step foot in that establishment again??

Thanks
Embarrassed and Sorry Guy :blush

If there was a theft on your part they should have stopped you then. However even though they did not they do have your info via your debit card and charges can be filed using that info

I had removed an item from its packaging but left the item in store as I approached the exit (since they were already suspicious?) I do not know if they saw me drop the headphones, although most likely not. When the LP placed the opened package on the counter from where I was paying, I did not touch it at all. I continued paying for my other item instead. Wouldn't it be not in their right to look up my card information like that?

What would give you that idea. If they suspect you of a crime they have the right to take whatever measure they can to ID you

No. They can use whatever information available to them to investigate a crime. Do you think if they turn the information over to the police they are going to say "I can't give you his name, etc because the terms of service prevent that"... that's funny.

After reading many of the previous threads in this forum, is it safe to assume several things?: (again in the state of CA)

Extra info: item was less than 50$ (exactly 1 cent less than that)

1. I was probably on camera so they have 1 year to use that
2. Since they did not detain or arrest me, they did not have enough evidence (at the moment)
3. It is somewhat (hopefully very) unlikely that they will come after me as it is not cheap for them?
4. Likely action (if any) is a civil payment letter of 5-500$?) (plz let this be the case)

1. I was probably on camera so they have 1 year to use that
Yes
2. Since they did not detain or arrest me, they did not have enough evidence (at the moment)
Thats an assumption we do not know nor do you
3. It is somewhat (hopefully very) unlikely that they will come after me as it is not cheap for them?
Cheap is not the issue. If they choose to press charges they will. Cheap doe snot play here as retailers lose over 13 Billion a year to shoplifting. Any return is good
4. Likely action (if any) is a civil payment letter of 5-500$?) (plz let this be the case)
Again we cant say. I know you want to hear more but we can't read minds and it would be unfair to guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back